Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Culturally Responsive Teaching
Transcript of Culturally Responsive Teaching
• Collaboration and cooperative learning
• Parent involvement: Share goals Tammy Melland
EDMA 614 • Get to know your students
• Relate to daily lives
• Connect to ancestors
• Open communication Wrapping it up • High expectations for all
• Welcoming climate
• Interactive & engaging activities
• Sharing personal experiences • Disconnect to material = struggle
• Strengthen stereotypes
Examples----> Black, S. (2006). Diverse learners can blossom in culturally responsive classrooms: Respecting Differences. American School Board Journal, 34-37
Epstein, T., Mayorge, E., Nelson, J. (2011). Teaching about race in an urban history class: The effect of culturally responsive teaching. Journal of Social Studies Research. 35(1), 2-21
Gay, G. (2002). Preparing for Culturally Responsive Teaching. Journal of Teacher Education, 52(2), 106-116.
Teaching diverse learners: Culturally responsive teaching. The Education Alliance, 1-9
Ukpokodu, O. N. (2011). How do I teach mathematics in a culturally responsive way? Identifying empowering teaching practices. Multicultural Education, 19(3), 47-56.
Vavrus, M. (2008). Culturally responsive teaching. Good, TL (Ed.), 21, 49-57. "If Tamika has 10 lbs. of
cocaine and Danisha has
5 lbs. of cocaine, how many lbs.
of cocaine are there altogeher?" "Ten male Indians plus five
female Indians equals what?" • Positives:
- Improved student engagement
- Able to relate to content
- Ownership over learning • Negatives:
- Strengthen stereotypes
- Disconnect Further research: