Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
FUNCTIONAL STYLES IN THE ENGLIH LANGUAGE
Transcript of FUNCTIONAL STYLES IN THE ENGLIH LANGUAGE
"Correct language" >> written >> the linguistic norm
Functional styles are subsystems of the language that present varieties of the norm of the national language. The term “functional style” reflects peculiar functions of the language in some type of communicative interaction.
The system of functional styles by I.V.Arnold
“Style is the result of creative activity of the writer who consciously and deliberately selects language means that create style.
by its nature will not lend itself to careful selection of linguistic features and there is no stylistic intention expressed on the part of the speaker”
The system of functional styles by I.R.Galperin
There are a great many classifications of language varieties that are called sublanguages, substyles, registers and functional styles that use various criteria for their definition and categorization
Distinctive linguistic features of the major functional styles of English
* Galperin treats functional styles as patterns of the written variety of language thus excluding colloquial FS
* Both scholars agree that each FS can be recognized by one or more leading features
* Galperin pays more attention to the coordination of language means and stylistic devices
* Arnold connects the specific features of each FS with its peculiarities in the sphere of communication
* No matter what classification is it can seldom be observed in its pure forms: mixing styles is the common practice
1. The Belles-Lettres Style:
the language of the drama
1. Neutral style has no distinctive features and its function is to provide a standard background for other styles
* including oratory and speeches into the notion of publicist style he means not the spoken variety of the language but spontaneous colloquial speech (which is rather doubtful);
* in modern works of fiction we may encounter any functional speech types. Most classifications do not distinguish the language of fiction as a separate style (as well as belles-lettres style)
Newspaper style - the materials that serve to inform the reader >> can also be used on television and radio >>
The norm - an abstract ideal system >> not a homogeneous and calcified entity
Functional styles are subsystems of the language and represent varieties of the norm of the national language
identify the regional and social varieties of the language
identify individual preferences in usage (phraseology, special vocabulary, language of literature) or the varieties that are associated with occupational groups (lawyers, journalists, scholars).
The classification of FSs is a very complicated problem
3. Newspaper Style:
brief news items
advertisements and announcements
Neutral Style :: Colloquial Style :: Bookish Style
2. Publicist Style:
oratory and speeches
4. Scientific Style
5. The Style of Official Documents:
the language of diplomacy
2. Colloquial Style:
3. Bookish Style: