Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Freedom of Religion
Transcript of Freedom of Religion
Freedom OF and From Religion are Intertwined...at at times butt-heads.
Freedom of Religion is like having two trains on a crash course...
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..."
Supreme Court Cases
"Congress shall make no law...or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."
We are free to practice any religion we choose, as long as it doesn't conflict with any laws (ex. polygamy).
Is church and state really separated?
freedom FROM religion...
why was this important to the Founding Fathers?
Aren't we supposed to have separation between church and state?
But what does that mean or look like?
Engel v. Vitale (1962)
struck down daily prayer for students
Lemon v. Kurtzman (1971)
1. The purpose of the aid must be non religious
2. The aid can neither advance nor inhibit religion.
3. Aid must not excessively entangle the government with religion.
freedom FOR religion
The government supports churches and religion in a variety of ways, including tax exemption.
Religion and Education:
prayers and the Bible
aid to parochial schools (Lemon Test)