Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The Boreal Shield
Transcript of The Boreal Shield
-It covers 20% of Canada's landmass and 10% of it's fresh water.
-It is part of both the Canadian Shield and Boreal Region.
-The Boreal shield is so big that the province of Nova Scotia can fit into it 32 times. Wildlife
Vegetation -The Boreal shield has many different types of wildlife such as, the Boreal Owl, Evening Grosbeak, Fisher, Woodland Caribou, Blue Jay, Wolf, Ruffed Grouse, Black Bear, Lynx, and Moose.
- There are two different types of vegetation located in the Boreal Shield, evergreen and mixed forests. Some examples of these trees are the White Spruce, Black Spruce, Paper Birch, Pin Cherry, and Red Pine. Climate -The boreal shield's climate is different within each of it's areas. In the summer its average temperature throughout most of the ecozone is around 15C.
-But the winter the average temperature there is different depending on whether it's on the Eastern side or Western side of the Boreal shield. On the Eastern side the average temperature is around -1C, but on the Western side it's much colder at an average of -20C throughout the winter.
- The two main provinces in this ecozone is Ontario and Quebec.
- It is Canada's heaviest forested ecozone. Human Relation In the boreal shield there are approximately 3 million people living there.
-Most of the roads that had been made in the boreal shield follow rivers, lakes, and streams, and most of the towns and cities are close to where water is.
-The boreal shield has some major cities, such as Ottawa, Sudbury, Thunder Bay, St. John`s, and Rouyn-Noranda.
-The main human activities in this ecozone are forestry, mining, trapping, and tourism. But the Boreal shield makes most of their money in the industry of exporting their goods, the average amount of money made from exporting products is between $49 and $51 Billion just in that ecozone alone. St. John's, Newfoundland Wolf Pin Cherry Tree It's Leaves and Branches Ottawa, Ontario Thunder Bay, Ontario Rocks
Minerals - There are many different types of minerals located in the Boreal shield such as Gold, Silver, Copper, Colbalt, Zinc, Lead, and the more rare types Uranium and Diamonds. -Each year the Boreal shield's mineral production makes an average of $4 billion. -But there are very few fossil fuels found in this ecozone which can sometimes be a problem. Uranium Zinc Now for the answers to the Questions 1) False its Canada`s Largest Ecozone 2) All of the Above 3) It stretches 3,800Km across Canada. 4) True the Western side is much colder than the Eastern side during the winter. 5) The Western Side 6) The Boreal Owl, Evening Grosbeak, Fisher, Woodland Caribou, Blue Jay, Wolf, Ruffed Grouse, Black Bear, Lynx, and Moose. 7) Evergreen and Mixed Forests 8) 3 Million 9) Ottawa, Sudbury, Thunder Bay, St. John`s, and Rouyn-Noranda. 10) Forestry, Mining, Trapping, and Tourism. 11) It has a big Exporting Industry 12) $49-$51 Billion 13) St. John's, Newfoundland. 14) Ontario & Quebec. 15) Your Opinion.