Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of SIOP Introduction
Describe the five stages of (second-)language acquisition
Differentiate between BICS and CALP
Discuss the results of the critical-period hypothesis
Share personal opinions and experiences
Summarize information Vocabulary SIOP
EL / ELL
Critical Period 1: Pre-Production 2: Early Production 3: Speech Emergence 4: Intermediate Fluency 5: Advanced Fluency 10 hours to 6+ months • 500 receptive words • "Silent Period" ~6 months more • ~1000 receptive/active words 1 year more • 3000 active words 1 year more • 6000 active words 5 to 7 years BICS CALP BICS CALP Basic Interpersonal Communicative Skills Cognitive Academic Language Proficiency Is there a critical period? In short, there is not a critical period for language acquisition.
There is a critical period for developing a natural accent.
Question: To what extent does accent matter when fostering a student's language? Cummins'
Quadrants A B C D