Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
ToK Presentation - Global Warming
Transcript of ToK Presentation - Global Warming
"Language is not merely a reproducing instrument for voicing ideas but rather is the shaper of ideas.." - Benjamin Whorf "man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic."
- Fyodor Dostoevsky Scientific Perceptions influenced by media? how Media deals with big scares end of the world, mayans, CERN, millenium crisis Politics government telling media what to publish? Ethical obligations to countries? Emotion different opinions deniers "Global Weirding"? Can there ever be a "proof"? Both sides giving very selective data RIVER DISCHARGE WATER USE RESERVOIR LEVELS SNOW COVER PERMAFROST ALBEDO GLACIERS AND ICE CAPS SUN SPOT CYCLES ORBIT WOBBLE SEA LEVEL VOLCANIC ACTIVITY HUMAN EMMISSIONS POPULATION INCREASE MILANKOVIC CYCLES CO2 IN OCEANS DEFORESTATION URBANISATION DECOMPOSITION LAND COVER WEATHER WIND RAIN CLOUD COVER AIR PRESSURE OCEAN TEMPERATURE OCEAN CURRENTS WIND STREAMS AIR TEMPERATURE HUMIDITY SNOW GLACIAL ACTIVITY PHOTOSYNTHESIS NITROGEN FIXATION Researcher Bias many have re-published studies numerous times, "correcting" errors in their methods of collecting data, and then coming to different conclusions. "Scientific consensus is that WE are causing global warming." an Inconvenient truth: "Did the planet betray us...
or did we betray the planet?" Inconvenient Truth: US geological survey: Global Warming Swindle: "Volcanoes produce more CO2 each year than all man-made sources of CO2 put together "art is a lie that makes us realise the truth - at least the truth that is given us to understand." - Pablo Picasso, 1881-1973 "A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die out, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it."
- Max Planck In the education syllabus - politicians dictating what we see as "truth"? re-released video without this clip! "decades of devastation ahead as global warming melts the alps" devastation catastrophic Armageddon critical reckless threats to human catastrophic climate change destruction "fight against global warming" fight danger hyperbole emotive ominous ravaged threatening nightmare Find evidence to support theories -wrong way around Temperatures have increased This increase is due to humans ? Scientific
Funding 47:44 Its it ethically right to do nothing? Even if only 5% chance it's us, shouldn't we still try saving the Environment?? Insurance Global Cooling Little support in the scientific community decreasing temperatures from 1940s to early 1970s Some scientists suggested possible Ice-Age Large amount of media attention Temperatures already started rising Can't really know what temperature and Co2 levels were in the past all just estimations based on gas in melted ice and the size of tree rings too many other variables "Hockey Stick" Graph energy fossil fuels Resources climate change disaster Statistical Error sensation CO2 emissions government politicians scientists scandal evidence long term solution issue sustainability future desertification Ice caps sea levels waste biodiversity Change 390x should merge all the grey data. biased ? bad statistician ? Spot the Difference: 7 are just random data "Climate Change is the greatest threat that human civilisation has ever faced."- Angela Merkel,German Chancellor How does the Media influence our Perception of Scientific "Truths" concerning Human-Induced Global Warming Mathematics May be warming, but is it
OUR fault? natural cycles Climate Change fanatics forest fires volcanic eruption "In einer solchen Berichterstattung ist kein Platz für die vagen und mit Wahrscheinlichkeiten arbeitenden Aussagen der Wissenschaft: Medien polarisieren, malen viel lieber in Schwarz-Weiß als mit Grauabstufungen und ziehen Experten/innen zu Rat, die extreme Meinungen vertreten, gerade um so ein schwer greifbares Thema wie die unsichtbaren Treibhausgase klarer zu machen." Media cover of climate change in china:
not much agknowledgement of the issue prior to IPCC conference
often translated documents, very factual tone
ncrease in reports after 2007 IPCC report, but not acepting any responsibility for contribution. The issue filtered through science and politics into the media where it gained more recognition.
each of these areas have their own rules and the issue changes between the areas
"the media constructs it's own truth the language used in other countries such as Germany is very similar to that used in the UK with titles such as: "CO2-Alarm! how dangerous the climate killer really is." acid rain aerosols animal welfare carbon monoxide conservation endangered species exhaust fumes (non)-renewable resources rain forest petrol waste Natural Disasters drought earthquake flood tidal wave Newspapers want readers, so over-dramatise Should politics influence science?
to what extent are politics ruling science? - William Faulkner can we trust them? "Hottest summer on record" "There is not such thing as consensus science. If it's a consensus, it isn't science. If it's science, it isn't a consensus." "We routinely wrote scare stories...Our press reports were more or less true...We were out to whip the public into a frenzy" Jim Sibbison, environmental journalist Correlation does NOT imply causation! "now one thing that kinda jumps out at you is: do they ever fit together? "... the relationship is actually very complicated..." "When there is more carbon dioxide,
gets warmer." Al Gore, in "An Inconvenient Truth": (THIS CENTURY) The media can't work with vagueness and possibilities as science can, it polarises and paints things in black and white, drawing on experts with extreme views to make the topic more accessible "Fraud"? -Michael Crichton, Science writer Evidence who has more responsibility? "Vulcan" 1970s German communications study shows that: