Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Austria-Hungary and Balkan Nationalism - WWI
Transcript of Austria-Hungary and Balkan Nationalism - WWI
- 'Patchwork Empire'
- Greatly affected by the decline of the Ottoman Empire and instability in Balkan area.
- Difference in cultures, ideas, language, religion - no nationalism and most hated the government and their leaders.
Austria-Hungary and Serbia - 1906: Pig War
- 1908: announce they are going to annex Bosnia, which Serbia wanted.
Austria-Hungary and Russia - Russians had a feeling of racial and religious kinship to the Slavic people, who were mostly situated in the Balkans, Bosnia and Serbia.
- After the Ottoman Empire collapsed, Austria-Hungary grabbed a lot of its land, which Russia wanted - immediately created hostility between two countries.
- Russians wanted Balkans for geographical and strategic reasons - Dardanelles.
- Balkans were a source of natural resources, had a lot of oil fields.
Assassination of Franz Ferdinand - 28th June 1914- Assassinated by Serbia’s terrorist group – The Black Hand (Gavrilo Prinicip)
- Blamed Serbian government and accused them of knowing about the assassination.
- They issued an ultimatum to Serbia – demanded that the assassins be brought to justice.
- Serbia had strong ties with Russia and knew they would support them in case of war - encouraged them.
- Germany supported Austria-Hungary and promised them they would come to their aid.
- Austria was unsatisfied with Serbia’s response to the ultimatum and declared war on Serbia on 28th July 1914. Balkan Nationalism The Balkan Wars - 1911: Italy attacked Turks and beat them, which made them weaker.
- Balkan countries saw a chance to drive Turks completely out of Europe.
- Bulgaria, Montenegro, Greece and Serbia (formed the Balkan League) all agreed to work together and help each other in attacking Turkey.
- A very cruel and costly war.
- Turkey surrendered.
- At peace conference in London, Turks gave up their remaining gland in Balkans, which was shared out among the four victors + Albania was created. FIRST BALKAN WAR (1912-1913) SECOND BALKAN WAR (1913) - Kings of Balkan League started arguing about their shares of land.
- 1st June 1913: Serbia and Greece formed alliance against Bulgaria.
- 29th June 1913: War began - King Ferdinand of Bulgaria ordered his troops to attack Serbian and Greek forces in Macedonia.
- Bulgarians defeated.
- Treaty signed agreeing Macedonia was to be split and given to Greece and Serbia.
- Serbia came out of the war very successful - had doubled the size Serbia which made the Serbians very proud and aggressive, which made the Serbs living in Bosnia want to be part of Serbia even more. The Balkan Wars created more hatred, resentment and unrest in the Balkan regions and caused more problems for Austria-Hungary as they worried the Slavs and the Serbs in Bosnia would rebel. - Nationalism in the Balkans helped contribute to the outbreak of WWI.
- Beginning in the late 19th century, the social unrest in the Balkan States became the focal point of many European powers.
- The Balkan region was important due to its territorial and economic significance which is why many countries wanted to grab as much land as they could.
- However, the Balkan States consisted of many proud ethnic cultures who did not wish to be ruled by any authority other than themselves.
The unification of other countries and strong patriotism fueled the desires of the Slavs, Greeks, Montenegrins, Rumanians, and Bulgarians to gain independence and revenge for the occupation of their lands by the Turks. The importance of Austria-Hungary and Balkan nationalism. By Reem Kar Thank you for watching my prezi :)