Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
ICT, Health Care and Big Data
Transcript of ICT, Health Care and Big Data
ICT, Health Care, and Big Data
Behavior and Characteristics can only be Understood, Developed, and Evaluated within a Social Context
Relationships: Doing Local, Being Global
Education: Innovative Models (MOOCs)
Infrastructure: Respectful Implementation
Big Data Research Proposal
Examples of African Strength:
- Ubuntu: Community Development
- Relatio: Workforce Development
- Orality, Dominatio: Thought Leadership
and to Learn
A Society of Character achieved
Augment Conventional Thinking
- Technology amplifies Your Intent
- Therefore, aim for:
- Cultural Nearness to African Society
- Diversity of Cultural Content of Modernity
- Balance in the Flow of Influence
1. Big Data is here to stay
2. Big Data Agenda for Zimbabwe must be set in collaboration and cooperation
Ubuntu: "I am because We are"
Orality: strength in verbal expression
Relatio: economy of giving, market of settling
Dominatio: "No future without forgiveness"
What is Happening?
- It is about People, not about Technology
- All Stakeholders, national, traditional, empowered and disempowered must be involved
Gertjan van Stam:
- Living the Life, in rural areas (12 years)
- Etnographic study
- Foreign Research Fellow, SIRDC
is upon us
Maintenance for Equipment
Diversity: "Africa is not a Country"
Change: Closed, Arrested or Open Communities
Dominated: Growing Inequalities
Constrained: "The Wretched of the Earth"
- Schigm between 'the West' and 'the Rest', e.g.
- 98% management theories emerge from USA
- ethically loaded concepts of human nature
- Most technologies emanate Western thinking and it's Ethical System
- Technologies emerged from 'Well-To-Do' laboratories
- ICTs have made the world a more unequal place (have vs have nots)
- Africa has unique context, including poverty and inequalities
ZimPriorities & Opportunities
Food Security and Nutrition
Social Services and Poverty Eradication
Infrastructure and Utilities
Value Addition and Beneficiation
e-everything (e-Agriculture, e-Health, etc)
Public Private Community Partnerships
Production for the Other 3 Billion
Infrastructure for Information
Amount of Computers
Number of Users
Internet of Things
Affordable, Ubiquitous Internet & the Cloud
Free and open Source Software
GOAL: 'Africa-Smart' networks capable of measuring, reflecting and predicting the 'African Pulse' in mostly vulnerable communities before shocks occur
Evidence-based Big Data research involving Mobile Network Operators, Government, Academia, Civil Society in the form of Big Data PPCPs