Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Nomenclature
Formulas --> Ionic Names
1. Write the cation (+) 1st then write anion (-) 2nd.
***Remember if group B use RN= charge
***Remember to change anion ending to -ide.
*** Remember to write polyatomics as is
Group A Group B
1. Always write cation 1st w/ charge
2. Write anion 2nd w/ charge
3. Criss cross unless they already cancel
* Use PREFIXES to indicate the amount of atoms.
Replace ending of elements name w/ -ide
M (+) combines with NM/Poly(-)
1. Write 1st name in full w/ prefix
2. Write 2nd name w/ prefix and -ide ending
***cross charges to find formula Ca PO = Ca (PO )
3 4 2
Write entire name
EX: Na = sodium
Write entire name &
a (roman numeral) =
Fe = iron (III)
Ex: phosphorus = phosphide oxygen = oxide
nitrogen = nitride bromine =bromide
MgO = magnesium oxide NH Cl = ammonium chloride
MnBr = manganese (II) bromide
DO NOT CHANGE POLYATOMICS!!!
Carry multiple charges
Ex: aluminum nitride = Al N --> AlN
barium phosphate = Ba PO --> Ba (PO )
3 4 2
iron (III) chloride = Fe Cl --> FeCl
1 - mono
2 - di
5 - penta
6 - hexa
7 - hepta
8 - octa
9 - nona
10 - deca
Covalent formula--> name
Ex: P Br = diphosphorus octobromide
CCl = carbon tetrachloride
H O = dihydrogen monoxide
AGENDA for Dec. 2
1. Take a stamp sheet and have a seat
2. Naming (Nomenclature) notes in spiral
3. Nomenclature Practice 1
***retest sign ups (wed/thur)
MANDATORY TUTORIALS TODAY!!!
Agenda for Dec. 3rd
1. Notes on Covalent
2. Nomenclature Practice 2
Naming part 1 Naming part 2
***Links are on www.tinyurl.com/freonomenclature
1. 1st 20 min do every problem assigned. Switch every other problem is either your or your partners.
2. Last 20 min you must explain to your partner how you got your answer.
Agenda for for Dec. 4, 2013
1. Grab a calculator and take out your periodic table.
2. Percent composition of Nomenclature 1 and finish nomenclature portion.
3. DUE today stamp for Nomenclature part 1 and % composition.
***Retest on the Bonding test today!!!
Agenda for Dec. 10th
1. Turn in review stapled to stamp sheet and turn in by last name!!!
2. Phone in PHONE BOX.
3. Put all extra stuff, except for notes, on the back table.
WELCOME BACK :)