Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Ch. 18 Sec. 4 A New Wave of Immigration
Transcript of Ch. 18 Sec. 4 A New Wave of Immigration
5 million new immigrants came in the 1880's
1. Economic opportunities
2. Escaping war
3. Escaping religious persecution
Immigrants from Europe had to go to immigration processing centers
opened in 1892 in New York Harbor
Opposition to Immigration
Garment and steel factories in cities
Many also worked in construction
Fear of losing jobs to immigrants
- group of American citizens against immigrants
Chinese Exclusion Act
banned Chinese people from coming to America for 10 years
Passed by President #21 Chester B Arthur who replaced President #20 James Garfield after he was assassinated
Came in the late 1800's
Most settled in the Southwest
Found work on railroads, construction, steel mills, mines, or large farms
Ch. 18 A New Wave of Immigration
EQ: Why did immigrants come to America, what types of work did they find, and how did people respond?