Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Versatile: How Technology Interacts with Poetry
Transcript of Versatile: How Technology Interacts with Poetry
marianne moore, famous poet "there are things that are important beyond all this fiddle. Reading it, however, with a perfect contempt for it, one discovers in it after all, a place for the genuine."
Marianne Moore, "Poetry" Moore's Solution: "Imaginary Gardens with real toads in them" "If we want our students to understand how literature, and poetry in particular, brings them into a deeper understanding in life, we need to find meaningful ways to engage them with poetry."
Dr. Janette Hughes, brilliant researcher So What Do Meaningful Ways Look Like? Written Poetry Spoken Poetry Virtual Poetry Sung Poetry Acted Poetry What???
that mean? "A Fine View" by David Knoebel
Browse Around http://www.gardendigest.com/concrete/cvpindex.htm
Poetry has been called the "screen sized art". Explain that statement, and: What is added when it is literally on a screen?
Go to Google Images
Type in "Concrete Poem"
Choose the Three Best
Check Out Def Jam Poetry:
Would you ever perform a spoken word poem? Why or why not?
1. Read "My Last Duchess" by Robert Browning
2. Watch the clip below.
3. What Did the Performance Add or Take Away?
1. Read "Nothing Gold Can Stay" by Robert Frost
2. Watch the clip from the movie "The Outsiders"
3. Who is Ponyboy speaking to here? Does that change the poem?
"The dominant model of poetry teaching, particularly for older students, has been to teach poetry through print text and to focus on finding one meaning to be dissected."
Dr. Janette Hughes, smart lady Look over the many poetic forms!
learn about one!
write your own poem! (use the Diamante poem generator if you're stuck!)
poetry and technology
and maybe even more! 1. Listen to Bob Dylan's tune. 2. Say your favorite band covered the tune: how would it sound different? 3. How would that change the meaning of his poem? (for more theory on this stuff, see monograph by Hughes):
Hughes, J. (2007). "Poetry: A Powerful Medium for Literary and Technology Development". Ontario, Canada: The Literacy and Numeracy Secretariat. With a classmate, find an explanation for what
"real gardens"and "imaginary toads" are.
Give Flowers to Your Date
a haiku by Evan Freemyer
after just a day or two.
And that serves her right.