Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Industrial Revolution Project
Transcript of Industrial Revolution Project
1881 - When President James Garfield was dying, engineers in the navy made a box-like structure containing clothes soaked with melted ice water. A fan blew outside air through the box and into his room. The contraption was able to lower the room temperature by 20 degrees Fahrenheit and consumed half a million pounds of ice in two months time.
1882 - Thanks to Thomas Edison makes it possible to have inexpensive energy.
1902 - Willis Carrier builds the first air conditioner.
1906 - Willis Carrier patents his invention calling it an "Apparatus for Treating Air."
1906 - Stuart W. Cramer creates the term "Air Conditioning."
1940 - Packard is the first car with 'factory air' as an option.
1953 - The Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Institute is formed by the Refrigeration Equipment Manufacturers Association and the Air-Conditioning and Refrigerating Machinery Association.
1957 - The first rotary compressor was made, allowing units to be smaller, quieter, weigh less, this made them more efficient.
1977 - New technology allowed heat pumps to be operated at lower outdoor temperatures. 1. Air conditioning has helped improve your life expectancy because it allowed for advances in medical technology.
2. Air conditioning has also changed the way houses are built, high ceilings and large windows for maximum air flow.
3. The original concept of air conditioning was thought to have come from Ancient Rome.
4.The first air conditioners used toxic or flammable gases, like ammonia, methyl chloride, or propane, this could kill you if it leaked. Thomas Midgley, Jr. created the first non-flammable/toxic gas, Freon, in 1928.
5. Air Conditioning has altered where we choose to live. Before most people would live in the northeast because of temperature, but because of the air conditioner more people moved to places like California, Nevada, Texas, etc. http://www.youtube.com/watch/v=1MiQCBIx1mM
http://shine.yahoo.com/work-money/9-surprisingly-cool-facts-you-never-knew-about-air-conditioning-2520593.html This is Michael Faraday This is Willis Haviland Carrier the inventor of the Air Conditioner. In 1902, a printing company from New York City came to Buffalo Forge Company with a problem: changes in heat and humidity in the paper plant affected the dimensions of the printing paper, resulting in the colored inks missing their mark. Instead of just controlling temperature, Carrier wanted to control humidity, so that the ink in the printing plant would not run on the paper. Instead of sending air through hot coils with steam to heat the air, he used cold water in the coils to cool it. Now he could control the humidity and temperature in the surrounding air. The low heat and humidity allowed for the ink to be properly aligned with the paper. How it works