Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Unit 1 Week 5
Transcript of Unit 1 Week 5
1. Her friend enjoyed listening to the story but suggested that she
it the next time she told it because it took 30 minutes to tell.
2. The desert typically is very
only certain plants can thrive in the climate.
young man enjoyed helping his classmates with their homework.
1. Write the sentences. 2. Circle the context clues. 3. Define the word.
Do Now Review
abbreviate - shorten, abridge
arid - extremely dry
benevolent - friendly, helpful
1. Do Now
2. Learning Target
4.Review Plot Diagram and Hero's Journey
4. Gilgamesh "The Return"
5. Complete Gilgamesh Hero's Journey and Characterization Graphic Organizer
6. Bye-Bye Blurb
What am I learning today?
I can analyze Gilgamesh's hero's journey.
Unit 1 Quiz
1. Read the excerpt
2. Discuss questions with your group.
3. Answer in complete sentences.
3 - Events that happened in the excerpts from Gilgamesh
2- Examples of figurative language in "The Return"
1- Character trait of the Gilgamesh.
Answer - Gilgamesh is _________.
Cite - The text stated, "_______________."
Explain - This _______ (action, effect etc) shows that ________.
Done - Gilgamesh is characterized as _____________ because he _____________.
Gilgamesh Hero's Journey and Characterization Graphic Organizer
1. Work with a partner to complete Gilgamesh's Hero's Journey. In each section write the action or event that occurred in Gilgamesh that represents that part of the Hero’s Journey....some events may not be in order
2. Use the STEAL chart to characterize Gilgamesh and Endiku
Setting: Myop's sharecropping cabin and woods
Situation/climate: little girl exploring nature
1. Myop carried her stick and poked things
2. She walked along the fence
3. She went into the woods
4. She entered a cove
Myop discovered a dead body
1. Myop discovered a noose near the body.
2. Myop laid down her flowers.
Myop felt like the summer was over.
Plot Diagram Practice
1. Select a Grimms' Fairy Tale
2. Read the tale with your group
3. Complete a plot Diagram for your story
Plot Diagram Review
1. Write the sentences. 2. Circle Context Clues. 3. Define the word.
boy didn't care when his best friend passed away from cancer.
2. Sara appreciated the
of her boyfriend because he always told her when he liked other girls.
3. John was
of the consequences but he continued to talk in class.
callous - emotionally hardened
candor - the quality of being honest and straightforward
cognizant - having or showing knowledge or understanding or realization
What am I learning?
1. Do Now
2. Review LT
4. Plot Video
5. Whole Group Plot Diagram Example
6. Flexible Group Reading Fairy Tales
7. Hero's Journey Project
9. Work Time for Hero's Journey Project
I can analyze plot in a short story.
Journal # 6
Describe a time when you discovered something. What was the item? Where was the item? Did you keep it or try to return it? Why?
How did the author create suspense (a state or feeling of excited or anxious uncertainty about what may happen) in one of your short stories?
RESPONSE 6-7 Sentences
nswer - The author created suspense by _______________.
te - For example, during the (rising action,exposition) _____________ happened. Also during the __________ occurred.
xplain - The (rising action/climax etc) made the reader feel ______________. The reader also ____________.
one - In the story __________ the author built suspense by ___________________.
Submit on Blog
Due September 9th
Hero's Journey Writing Assignment
i.e. money, secret, clothes etc
Brothers Grimm. The Brothers Grimm (die Brüder Grimm or die Gebrüder Grimm), Jacob (1785–1863) and Wilhelm Grimm (1786–1859), were German academics, philologists, cultural researchers, lexicographers and authors who together specialized in collecting and publishing folklore during the 19th century.
The CEO was charged with
after she used company funds to buy a yacht.
The teacher suggested the student
his work because it had multiple grammatical errors.
The aspiring model tried to
embezzlement - the fraudulent appropriation of funds or property
emend - make corrections to
emulate - strive to equal or match, especially by imitating
1. Write the sentence. 2. Circle the context clue. 3. Define the word.
The Princess of Bekhten 1.5 pages
How the god of the moon, Khonsu saved the life of a princess during the 19th Dynasty.
The Prince and the Sphinx 2.5 pages
The story of how a prince became king when he promised to do the famous Great Sphinx of Giza a favor (1405 BC)...
The Land of the Dead
The myth of the only two people to visit the Duat, the land of the dead, and return to tell all about it.
The Story of Re
The story of the creation, Re's revenge of mankind and how Isis trickedRe into telling her his secret name.
Close Reading Practice
1. You must read at least 5 pages.
2. Select Group A or B
- Complete 2 Questions from each part of table
-Complete entire Comprehensive Questions
- Complete 2 questions from Knowledge,Comprehension and Evaluation
-Complete 1 question from Analysis, Application and Synthesis
1. Do Now
2. Review LT
4. Myth Video
5. Egypt Myth Close Reading
7. Project Questions
What am I learning?
I can close read a text and engage in a collaborative discussion.
Journal # 7
Whose your best friend? Why? How long have you known them? How did you become friends? What type of things do you do together?
Decide which character in a myth you would most like to spend a day with and
why. What character traits does that character posses?
A myth is a traditional story that explains the beliefs of a people about
the natural and human world. The main characters in myths are usually
gods or supernatural heroes. The stories are set in the distant past. The
people who told these stories believed that they were true.
Myth - Genre