Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of Traumatic Brain Injury and Brain Death: A Primer
Alisa Hughleyon 9 June 2013
Transcript of Copy of Traumatic Brain Injury and Brain Death: A Primer
BRAIN DEATH WHAT HAPPENED TO CAREY? Statistics More Than A Number Neuro-Pathophysiology Declaration of Death WHAT IS BRAIN DEATH?
SWBAT explain the importance of
SWBAT identify anatomical regions of
the brain stem
SWBAT explain function of the brain stem
SWBAT define brain death
SWBAT explain how MDs determine brain death an individual who has sustained either (1) irreversible cessation of circulatory & respiratory functions or (2) irreversible cessation of all functions of the entire brain including the brain stem is dead
Uniform Declaration of Death Act, 1981 Phase I 52,000 118,190 More stats on TBI at http://infogr.am/TBI-by-the-Numbers waiting for organs source: http://www.cdc.gov/Features/dsTBI_braininjury/ source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/interactives/brain TBI: A blunt or penetrating injury to the head
that disrupts the normal function of the brain
[Can you name one thing that causes traumatic brain injury?] KEY TERMS
Traumatic Brain Injury
Uniform Declaration of Death Act More than 118,190 people await a life saving transplant of one or more organs #BeA_Donor http://enbloommedia.net @enbloommedia Vision one of 52,000... Apnea: the inability to breathe
Apnea Test: A test of blood gas levels to determine a person's ability to breath without artificial assistance What are some causes of TBI & coma? What happens when body temp gets low? "I'm not gonna need 'em (my organs) when I'm dead." 81% waiting for a kidney 13% need a liver heart, pancreas and intestines can also be donated 1 life stolen; 4 lives saved You can save or enhance the lives of as many as 50 people by registering to #BeA_Donor of organs & tissue Phase II x 3 Can you name one reflex test for a nerve in the brain stem? Review of Basic
Neuro-Anatomy & Physiology Frontal Parietal Occipital Cerebellum Temporal Corpus callosum Pons Meulla oblongata Spinal cord Brain stem consists of
(1) Midbrain (2) Pons
(3) Medulla oblongata American Gun Culture: A minor or someone with diminished mental capacity can successfully purchase a gun through illegal channels as well as legal ones. This is the model legislation from which all state laws are based. Thanks so much for listening! die from TBI Apnea: the inability to breathe
Apnea Test: A test of blood gas levels to determine a person's ability to breath without artificial assistance