Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Copy of Chapter 8:The Ancient Egyptian Pharaohs
Transcript of Copy of Chapter 8:The Ancient Egyptian Pharaohs
1) Egypt is located in northeast Africa; Split into Upper and Lower Egypt; The Nile River is the main river that runs through Egypt (flows from south to north because of mountains).
2) Egypt is run by leaders called pharaohs; Egyptian history is broken into 3 parts: Old Kingdom, Middle Kingdom, and New Kingdom.
Called Egypt’s Golden Age,
2,700 to 2,200 B.C.E.,
Set up a strong central government,
Pharaohs built pyramids as tombs for themselves.
Made many great achievements in literature, art, and architecture.
Khufu: (Old Kingdom)
*Ruled from 2,551-2,528 B.C.E.
*Watched over Egypt’s food supply.
*Declared himself a god.
Great Pyramid at Giza
(made of 2 million stone blocks, 20 years to complete).
Pharaoh Khufu: The Pyramid Builder
Senusret: (Middle Kingdom)
*Ruled from 1,971-1,926 B.C.E.
*Controlled mines-gave gems to craftspeople to make elaborate jewelry.
*Built temples, shrines like the
*White Chapel-Made of hard white stone, had beautiful carvings in the pillars (reconstructed picture).
Pharaoh Senusret I: Patron Of The Arts
Hatshepsut: (New Kingdom)
*Ruled from 1,473-1,458 B.C.E.
First female pharaoh
(received the power to be pharaoh from her male relatives, demanded the same respect as a male pharaoh).
*Built a temple for herself into a cliff above the Nile River.
Pharaoh Hatshepsut: Promoter Of Egyptian Trade
Ramses: (New Kingdom)
*Ruled from 1,290-1,224 B.C.E.
(60yrs), had over 100 wives and 100 children.
*Known for his military skills, became captain of the army at age 10!
*Defended the empire against invaders, but also signed the first peace treaty!
*Built numerous statues of himself, more than any other pharaoh!
Pharaoh Ramses II: Military Leader And Master Builder