Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Sex Therapy:
- clients will be embarrassed and have difficulty
discussing sexual matters
- clients will not understand medically correct terminology
- clients will be misinformed about sexual functioning
- clients will be in crisis and may be suicidal
- clients have not been open with each other and
do not freely discuss sexual matters
Conceptualizations of Sexual Response & Functioning
Circles of Sexuality
: expression of sexual receptivity or interest
especially when excessive
- couple has not discussed previous interviews
- couple has trouble discussing sexual matters
and is embarrassed
- there may still be a crisis
- correct terminology is still not well understood
- sexual attitudes are rigid and conservative
- avoidance of sex will occur because of
fear and discomfort
Conceptualizations & Therapeutic Interventions
for Enhancing Sexuality
Erin N. Donnelly, Psy.D., M.Ed.
University of Kansas Medical Center
Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Women's Health Specialty Centers
: the sexual habits and desires of a person
: the quality or state of being sexual
: the condition of having sex
: sexual activity
What is a sex therapist?
Additional Resources & Education
Case Study: A Simple Case of Erectile Dysfunction
Overview of Sex Therapy Approaches
DSM-IV-TR to DSM-5 Diagnoses
Awareness, acceptance of and comfort with one's own body; physiological and psychological enjoyment of one's own body and the bodies of others.
The ability and need to experience emotional closeness to another human being and have it returned.
The development of a sense of who one is sexually, including a sense of maleness and femaleness (gender).
Sexual Health & Reproduction
Attitudes and behaviors related to producing children, care and maintenance of the sex and reproductive organs, and health consequences of sexual behavior.
Sexualization & Power
The use of sexuality to influence, control or manipulate others.
human sexual response cycle
sexually transmitted infections
sexual reproductive systems
- Process both in/out of sessions
- Intersubjective space
Behavioral: individual and couple
Review with the individual/couple
what they have learned,
Where individual/couple was when they started...
Where they are now...
Where they want to be in the future...
American Association for Sex Educators, Counselors & Therapists (AASECT)
American Psychological Association
American Medical Association
Advocates for Youth
American Society of Reproductive Medicine (ASRM)
Association of Reproductive Health Professionals
Center for Health and Gender Equality (CHANGE)
Center for Sexual Health Promotion
Creating Resources for Empowerment in Action (CREA)
International Academy for Sex Research
International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF)
International Women's Health Coalition (IWHC)
International Coalition to Support Sexuality Education (NCSSE)
International Society for Sexual Medicine
Sexuality Information and Education Council of the US (SIECUS)
Society for Sex Therapy and Research (SSTAR)
Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality (SSSS)
World Association for Sexual Health (WAS)
Center for Pelvic Pain & Sexual Health, Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine
Fight-Flight-Freeze vs. Feed-Breed (Rest-Digest)
Pressure kills it -> expand definition/spontaneity of sex!
are responsible for
your own pleasure
Assess your values & desires.
Explore your body's makeup & function.
Communicate those needs!
Don't be your own spectator... Get sensual.
Where there's a will, there's a way.