Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Hip Hop Culture
Transcript of Hip Hop Culture
HIP - HOP
What Makes Hip-Hop?
Two Separate Slang Term
4 distinct elements
Turntablism or DJing
proclaim an alternative to try/ challenge merely evoke the mood of such circumstance and environment
- Writing or drawings that have been scribbled, scratched, or sprayed illicitly on a wall or other surface in a public place.
- Expression underlying social and political messages.
what is Graffiti?
changing of the HipHop Fashion
- engages with social problems in urban communities
- born out of social turmoil, sees a problem in society, addresses through artistic revolt
- particular concentrated with black nationalism
South Bronx amongst black and Latino youth
1970s in New York City
Punk Rock and Hardcore Punk
*Expression of the African American experience
"breaking" was slang
at the time for
"acting energetically" or "causing a disturbance"
Funk and Soul
and highly energetic
*to escape gang life, to release anger, aggression and frustration positively, in a non-violent way.
- Spoken word poetry to beat
-Main components; content, flow (rhyme and rhythm), and delivery
-Accessible- anyone can rap
-Individual- self expression, address social issues/taboo subjects
-importance of individual style
-influenced by black nationalism/traditional African style
Kente cloth, chains, dreadlocks, ect.
Sneakers, baseball caps,
Hip Hop Graffiti
- The relationship between graffiti and hip hop culture arises both from early graffiti artists engaging in other aspects of hip hop culture.
- Graffiti is understood as a visual expression of rap music, just as distruction is viewed as a physical expression.
- Tagging/ Tagger
True Hip Hop
NewStyle,LA style,Urban Dance
"Hip Hop saved a lot of lives" -
From Cold Crush Brothers
- The technique of manipulating sounds and creating music
- One of Hip-Hop music elements
- Disc Jockey
- offering a music for MC who is rapping
*with a gangster image
*always be linked to dirty, drugs, sex and money
*Love & Peace
*evolving spirit and consciousness of urban youth that keeps recreating itself in a never-ending cycle.
*Cultural response to historic oppression and racism, a system for communication among black communities throughout the United States
very influential and Important group in Hip Hop Culture Since 1978