Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
COMPLEMENTARY AND ALTERNATIVE HEALTH CARE MODALITIES
Transcript of COMPLEMENTARY AND ALTERNATIVE HEALTH CARE MODALITIES
is any practice that is put forward as having the healing effects of medicine, but is not based on evidence gathered using the scientific method. It consists of a wide range of health care practices, products and therapies, using alternative medical diagnoses and treatments which typically are not included in the degree courses of medical schools or used in conventional medicine. Examples include Herbal Medicine, Acupuncture, Ventosa, Reflexology and Naturopathy
is alternative medicine used together with conventional medical treatment in a belief, not proven by using scientific methods, that it "complements" the treatment. CAM is the abbreviation for Complementary and alternative medicine. Integrative medicine (or integrative health) is the combination of the practices and methods of alternative medicine with conventional medicine.
FORMS OF COMPLEMENTARY AND ALTERNATIVE HEALTHCARE MODALITIES:
- is use of plants for medicinal purposes, and the study of such use.
The following are the 10 Medicinal Plants in the Philippines endorsed by DOH:
1. Akapulko (Cassia alata) - is used to treat tinea infections, insect bites, ringworms, eczema, scabies and itchiness.
2. Ampalaya (Momordica charantia) - has been found to be effective in the treatment of diabetes (diabetes mellitus), hemofrhoids, coughs, burns and scalds, and being studied for anti-cancer properties.
3. Bawang (Allium sativum) - used to treat infection with antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer and anti-hypertensive properties. It is widely used to reduce cholesterol level in blood.
4. Bayabas (Psidium guajava) - used as antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic, antioxidant hepatoprotective, anti-allergy, antimicrobial, anti-plasmodial, anti-cough, antidiabetic, and antigenotoxic in folkloric medicine.
5. Lagundi (Vitex negundo) - used to treat cough, colds and fever. It is also used as a relief for asthma & pharyngitis, rheumatism, dyspepsia, boils, and diarrhea.
6. Niyog-niyogan (Quisqualis indica L.) - iis used to eliminate intestinal parasites.
7. Sambong (Blumea balsamifera)- used to treat kidney stones, wounds and cuts, rheumatism, anti-diarrhea, anti spasms, colds and coughs and hypertension
8. Tsaang Gubat (Ehretia microphylla Lam.) - taken as tea to treat skin allergies including eczema, scabies and itchiness wounds in child birth
9. Ulasimang Bato | Pansit-Pansitan (Peperomia pellucida) - is known for its effectivity in treating arthritis and gout.
10. Yerba Buena (Clinopodium douglasii) - commonly known as Peppermint, is used as analgesic to relive body aches and pain due to rheumatism and gout. It is also used to treat coughs, colds and insect bites
- is the stimulation of specific acupoints along the skin of the body involving various methods such as penetration by thin needles or the application of heat, pressure, or laser light.
- Ventosa/Cupping therapy is an ancient Chinese form of alternative medicine in which a local suction is created on the skin; practitioners believe this mobilizes blood flow in order to promote healing.
- or zone therapy, is an alternative medicine involving the physical act of applying pressure to the feet, hands, or ears with specific thumb, finger, and hand techniques without the use of oil or lotion.
NATUROPATHY/ NATURAL MEDICINE
- is system of medicine that focuses on protection and the use of non-toxic, natural therapies. Naturopathy favors a holistic approach with non-invasive treatment and generally avoids the use of surgery and drugs.
1. Herbal Medicine
Seven Principles of Naturopathic Medicine
1. Do no Harm
2. Nature has healing process
3. Identify and treat the cause
4. Treat the whole person/Holistic healing
5. The physician is a best teacher
6. Prevention is the best cure
7. Establish health and wellness