Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Indian Women Injustice
Transcript of Indian Women Injustice
Mentality from birth- uneducated
In New Delhi, quoted in the media - woman is raped every 18 hours and molested every 14 hours in the capital city.
Hundreds of other attacks are never reported.
Silenced among women for years
Recent strong public outcry & global awareness
More than 220,000 incidents were reported in 2011 alone, according to Indian government statistics. Rape in India cases of rape had been reported as of Oct. 24 this year, up from in the same time period in 2011
of male adolescents and of female adolescents believe a husband is justified in beating up his wife under certain circumstances, according to a UNICEF 2012 report.
rape reported every minutes in the country —
2009 federal election, candidates who had been charged with rape or other crimes against women.
of rapists are known to the victims — family members, friends, co-workers. SHOCKING but TRUE Worst place for women - G20
Male dominance strong part of Indian culture
Obey all male figures
Stay home take care of family/ men
Patriarchal families 580 482 57 % 53 % 1 22 24,000 / year. 40 94 % Asram Bapu Hold girl responsible for Delhi gang rape, says ‘Spare’ the rapist, slams media. Indian rape witness says no one helped for an hour Gang Rape Sparks Public furry in India, but violence against women is common WHATS THE STORY ? -23 year old female Jyoti Singh Pandey
- group of 6 men - December 16, 2012 - New Delhi, India - Jyoti and friend on their way home,
- thought they were on public transit bus
-group of rapists on the bus, including driver.
- 6men physically abused man, brutally sexual/physically abused Jyoti. (significance): Female abuse is common in India due to male dominance rooted in culture.
- Offenders claimed that their actions were justified, since she was out late with a man.
- Women are speaking out, and breaking barriers to enforce CHANGE WHO? WHEN? WHERE? WHAT? WHY? Similarities Toronto Star Toronto Sun Indian Express Focused on the views expressed by a Hindu Spiritual leader, Asram Bapu -Blaming the girl for getting attacked
- If she chanted hymns, she wouldn't of got on the bus
she should of told the rapists, "i consider you my brother." - Asram Bapu Focused on the details of male dominance in India -In depth on India's cultural beliefs/norms
- Lack of women's rights
- Incorporated view point of the offenders, "Teach her a lesson." Focuses on the viewpoint of the victim - straight forward article
-direct quote from male victim
-displayed the feelings and emotions that one of the victims were going through. "We kept shouting at the police, ’please give us some clothes...." All 3 articles discussed ...
-ALL 6 men at fault
- Controversy of sexual abuse
-Modern day mentality in
-India -slowly evolving
-Barriers are being broken PUBLIC REACTIONS ON TWITTER ... Aam Aadmi Party leader Arvind Kejriwal “AAP members are invited to sit on a silent protest by tying black cloth on their mouth at Jantar Mantar.”
Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha, Sushma Swaraj “Her death has shaken the conscience of the nation. We must wake up and make India safe for daughters”.
Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Arvind Kejriwal “Aren't we all responsible for her death? Can we all now do something so that half of humanity starts feeling safe amongst us?...Her death is a matter of shame and sorrow for all of us. Let's resolve that we will not let her death go in vain”. collected by Zee News Comparing News Outlets In our Opinion... Its clear that this was wrong and unjust
This is causing such a world wide response , and a response among the Indian people.
As a result, this horrible attack will have some good things out of it. More minds will be open and aware that these unjust acts are happening.
We are privileged to live in Canada, where you can be confident to live as a woman. Do you think this was fairly covered ?
What do you think about this tragic event ?
How do you think, events like these can be prevented ?