Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Flagstaff Hill Cannons
Transcript of Flagstaff Hill Cannons
The fort was intended to provide a deterrent
to a possible Russian attack upon Wollongong Harbour It was dug out of the hill,
then brick walls were built inside
and earth was placed
over the tunnels. The cannons were designed
to fire a shell weighing
almost 30kg a distance of 1.6km. By 1887 the cannons were regarded
as useless, as they had a short range
and would not adequately
meet the threat that was posed.
The solution to this issue
was to build a disappearing gun,
with underground room for
supplies, ammunition and shelter. In 1893 the threat of a Russian
For Heritage week in 1983,
the cannons were restored
and relocated at the site
by Wollongong City Council. In 1890 a 5.3 tonne gun was positioned
in a concrete pit near the peak of