Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Technological Determinism & Audiences' Agency
Transcript of Technological Determinism & Audiences' Agency
* New technology brings about social and cultural changes. William Raymond "A technology, when it has been achieved, can be seen as a general human property, an extension of a general human capacity" Paul Hodkinson Far from having determined social and cultural changes, technologies should be regarded as tools whose development and use is dependent on social contexts and human priorities "A new technology merely opens a door; it doesn’t compel one to enter." (MacKenzie and Wajcman) Leila Green: “social determinism” the society is responsible for the development and deployment of new technologies Technological Determinism
vs. Audiences' Agency Marshal McLuhan Technologies have been developed and improved to help humans in their practices and "desired" practices Radio Communications First used in navy's ship-to -shore communication a product of the Cold War and the US desire to keep up with the Soviet Union The Internet was invented in order that people can find information easily that they want among the enormous number of websites. 1964 Many users choose the internet and other new media technologies:
*the source of their pleasures.
*to participate, identify themselves and to socialise Using new technology Who's responsible? Journalists and Twitter - update news and events straight to the mobile phones, email inboxes and and website of subscribers and readers.
- update online editions to compete with radio and television news.
- call for information, sources and verifications
- collate, spread and share information about disasters or any other emergent events
* sharing photos with family and friends, emailing,
* using Skype to stay in touch with their loved ones
* booking flies, shopping online, online banking,
* consulting for medication, weather forecasts The Internet “activity” and “being active”: People are born to participate in one form or another. New media technologies are seen as tools to bring out more effectively the natural urge to participate AUDIENCES’ AGENCY AND NEW MEDIA Do you think that Internet or social media determine your life style? To what extent do the Internet or social media affect you? Smart phone Facebook and activists
* The young generation: “less informed, less literate, more self-absorbed and more depressed”. HOWEVER, The social media network How would you respond to these comments?
* The theory of technological determinism ignores the role of human agency when it suggests that technology brings about social and cultural changes.
* Rather, it is human desire and capacity to create new technologies and determine their uses. We haven yet known the future of technology but we know that human beings will determine any changes, not technologies. Conclusion “Is technological determinism the only way to view the impact of technology on audience and users?” New technologies have been sought to solve particular nees. * cause a culture of distraction, attention-deficit, fragmented and shallow thinking. * emphasises on the immediacy and personalised communication *The young generation is "less informed, more self-absorbed and more depressed" by Chau Ho