Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Sustainable Agriculture in the United States
Transcript of Sustainable Agriculture in the United States
thoughts... Why Should We Worry? - the biodiversity & soil diversity throughout the US is declining due to lacking sustainability
- impacts of unsustainable agriculture:
Land conversion & habitat loss
wasteful water consumption
Soil erosion and degradation
genetic erosion/ species extinction (WWF) OFFICIAL DEFINITION:
the act of farming using
principles of ecology, the
study of relationships between
organisms and their
environment (USDA: NAL 2009) - use of sustainable agricultural methods eliminates use of harmful pesticides, water waste, and minimizes harmful genetically modified organisms (GMOs)
- sustainable agriculture has a positive impact on profitability of the industry through
elimination of pesticide cost
improved soil fertility
encouraging competitive markets (MSU) Sustainable Agriculture
in the US - US ranked last in global survey on sustainability (out of 17)
- France & Germany have ntl. programs for agricultural sustainability that address biggest problems in industry
- by 2020 both countries plan to have eliminated pesticide use in agriculture - success/ fail of sustainable agriculture is in our hands
- get educated by: Amina Khribeche
SPETZLER- Passage 1.
Methods of Sustainable
- Crop Rotation
- Cover Crops
- Soil Enrichment
- Natural Pest Predators
- Bio-sensitive Integrated Pest
Management QUESTIONS? Bibliography 1.."Sustainable Agriculture: Where Do We Go From Here?" YouTube. Nature Consurvancy, 01 Mar. 2012. Web. 10 Jan. 2013.
2. Agriculture in France: From the Wheat in Beauce to the Limousine of the Massif Central." - French Food in the US. Agriculture Department of the French Embassy, 19 Mar. 2012. Web. Fall 2012.3. Subramaniam, Apurvaa. "Organic Farming or Genetic Engineering? - Study in Germany." Organic Farming or Genetic Engineering? - Study in Germany. DAAD, n.d. Web. Fall 2012.4."EU Agricultural Product Quality Policy." - Agriculture and Rural
5. Development. European Commission, 07 Mar. 2012. Web. Fall 2012.Philpott, Tom. "France Seeks to Cut Pesticide Use in Half." TOM PHILPOTT. Mother Jones, 15 Feb. 2012. Web. Fall 2012.6. "Greendex." National Geographic. Green Dex, 2012. Web. Fall 2012.7. "Environmental Impacts of Farming." WWF. N.p., n.d. Web. Fall. 2012.
8. Yang, Sarah. "09.18.2003 - Save the Dirt: Researchers Find Pristine Soils Losing out to Farming and Development." Save the Dirt: Researchers Find Pristine Soils Losing out to Farming and Development. UC Berkley News, 18 Sept. 2003. Web. Fall 2012.9. "Healthy Food and Farm Solutions: Advance Sustainable Agriculture." Union of Concerned Scientists. UCSUSA, 24 Sept. 2012. Web. Fall 2012.
10. Notaras, Mark. "Germany's Great Green Transformation." Germany's Great Green Transformation. OurWorld 2.0, 26 May 2010. Web. Fall 2012.
11."Environment-Profitability Trade-offs." Economic Analysis of Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems. Michigan State University, 29 Oct. 2010. Web. Fall 2012.
12. Organic Farming in Germany." BMELV. Federal Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection, July 2012. Web. Fall 2012. <http://www.bmelv.de/SharedDocs/Standardartikel/EN/Agriculture/OrganicFarming/OrganicFarmingInGermany.html>.
13. "Sustainable Agriculture: Definitions and Terms (1999; Revised 2007; Updated Links 6/9/08)." Sustainable Agriculture: Definitions and Terms (1999; Revised 2007; Updated Links 6/9/08). United States Department of Agriculture: National Agriculture Library, Sept. 2009. Web. Fall 2012. Learning Objectives & Graduate
Profile to learn
Investigate the World