Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Health Care and Social Services in Harrisonburg, VA
Transcript of Health Care and Social Services in Harrisonburg, VA
By Karuna Pokharel
and Kushum Pokharel
design by Dóri Sirály for Prezi
Rockingham Memorial Hospital
Provides a wide array (52) of services to the public- ER, Hospice, Bariatric Surgery, Behavior Helath, Internal Medicine, Women Center, Wellness Center, Cancer Center, etc.
1. Walk In Urgent Care- MedExpress
Free clinic/ Health Department
1. CVS pharmacy- 3 locations
780 Cantrell Ave 1100 S High St 1151 Port Republic Rd
Harrisonburg, VA 22801 Harrisonburg,VA Harrisonburg
(540)433-2437 540-434-8916 540-433-1158
2. Harrisonburg- Rockingham Clinic 3. Williamson Drug
25 W Water St 1776 S Main St
Harrisonburg, VA 22801 Harrisonburg, VA
4. Costco Pharmacy 5. Harrisonburg Pharmacy
1830 Reservoir St 1830 Reservoir Street
Harrisonburg, VA 22801 Harrisonburg, VA
Non-Profit Social Services
1. Center for Behavioral health- Rockingham Memorial Hospital
2. Harrisonburg Rockingham Community Service Board (CSB)
3. James Madison university Shenandoah Valley Child Development Clinic
4. Rockingham Memorial Hospital (RMH)
5. Rockingham Public Schools
6. Shenandoah Public Schools
2. EmergiCare urgent care medical clinic
• Provides services like- occupational care, onsite lab, onsite X-ray, Orthopedic care, minor surgeries
3. Valley Urgent Care and Occupational Medicine
• Provides services like onsite X-ray, EKG, lab testing, drug screening including hair testing, spirometry, audiometry, occupational testing, physicals
• Eligibility requirements
• Work or volunteer at least 16 hours per week, receive disability benefits or actively seeking disability, or have been determined unable to work by Free Clinic clinical staff. These situations are discussed and evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
• Services offered
- Medical appointments, Medications ( no narcotics or sedatives), Referrals to specialists for patients seen in the free clinic, Laboratory services, Women’s gynecology care, including mammograms and PAP smears, for women beyond child-bearing, Nutrition counseling, Patient education, Patient case management, Flu shots, Dental extraction services (Appointment needed for this service).
Programs offered are Benefit Programs and Service Programs
a. Benefits program
Additional Assistance Programs- Medical assistance, FAMIS (Family Access to Medical Insurance Security), State and Local Hospitalization, General relief program (to help in burial), Auxiliary grant for aged and disabled.
Rockingham county Health Department
b. Service programs
- Adoption, Adult Protective Services, Adult Services, Child Protective Services, Day Care Services, Employment Services, Foster Care.
5. Harrisonburg Pharmacy
6. Wal-Mart Pharmacy
7. Parkview Pharmacy
8. Williamson Hughes Pharmacy
9. K-Mart Pharmacy (2 locations)
10. Kroger Pharmacy
11. Kroger Pharmacy
12. Target Pharmacy
13. Giant Food Pharmacy
14. MediCap Pharmacy (2 locations)
15. Rite Aid Pharmacy
16. Peakside Pharmacy
17. Sunny Side Nursing Home Pharmacy
18. Rockingham Memorial Hospital Pharmacy (OPEN 24 HOURS)
Plethora of doctor's offices- including family practice, psychiatric, OBGYN, pediatrics, surgery, dentistry, acupuncture, internal medicine, sleep medicine, etc
Doctor's Offices contd...
1. Harrisonburg VA Outpatient Clinic
2. RMH Valley Behavioral Medicine
4.Ken Coupland Family Dentistry
5. Riggleman Chiropractic
6. Shen Dao Clinic
7. Health 4 Life
110N Mason St., Harrisonburg, VA
Hours of operation-
M- F 8A-5P
2. City of Harrisonburg Health Department
1. Harrisonburg-Rockingham Free Clinic
Dental Extraction Clinic: 1st and 3rd Tuesday evenings every month 5:30-7:00 PM (held offsite)
Long Term care facilities
1. Avante at Harrisonburg
2. Harrisonburg health and Rehab
3. Oak Lea Nsg Home
4. Sunny Side Presbyterian Retirement Community
5. Emeritus at Harrisonburg (Memory Care/ Assisted living)
6. White Birch Estate Inc. (Assisted Living)
Nurse to Patient ratio
Virginia doesn't have a law that mandates a particular ratio to be maintained, yet.
• 15 states, plus the District of Columbia* enacted legislation and/or adopted regulations to address nurse staffing: CA, CT, IL, ME*, MN, NV, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OR, RI, TX, VT, and WA.
• 7 of these states require hospitals to have staffing committees responsible for plans and staffing policy – CT, IL, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA.
Prevalent Diseases in Harrisonburg
Remington Memorial hospital (RMH)’s [Community Health Needs Assessment] CHNA work group reviewed survey results and identified the priority health issues for the RMH service region as:
• Adult and childhood obesity
• Teen Pregnancy
• Heart Disease and hypertension
Top 14 Causes of deaths in Harrisonburg
• Cerebrovascular Disease
• Chronic Lower Respiratory Disease
• Alzheimer’s Disease
• Unintentional Injuries
• Diabetes Mellitus
• Nephritis and Nephrosis
• Influenza and Pneumonia
• Parkinson’s Disease
• Chronic Liver Disease
• Primary Hypertension and Renal Disease
• Malignant Neoplasm
• Heart Disease
Total Infant Deaths in 2010 was 12 out of 695 in Virginia.
Cross road to brain injury recovery
United Way of Harrisonburg and Rockingham County partners with 34 non-profit organizations to provide services to the public. Some of them are-
Big Brothers Big Sisters- pairs responsible adult supervision to the 'at risk' youth
Collins Center- provides services to victims of sexual assults
American Red Cross- provides emergency relief
First step- provides emergency services to domestic violence survivors
HARTS- thermal program
• Also offers different classes, seminars, and support groups
2010 Health Campus Dr.
Harrisonburg, VA, 22801
There are four Nursing homes, and three assisted living facilities in Harrisonburg area. Some of them are
Provides services like- physicals, medical evaluations (fpr executives, employment, pre-employment, return to work), immunizations/ vaccinations, flu shots, EKGs, Digital x-rays, lab work including drug and alcohol screening, IV fluids, minor surgical procedures, cuts, sprains, bee stings, asthma, allergies, etc.
Accepts most insurance for payments, including Medicare and Medicaid (VA).
755 Centrell Ave.,
• Open 7 day a week (Monday- Friday 9a-8p; Saturday 10a-4p; Sunday 1p-6p)
119 University Blvd #C,
Harrisonburg, VA 22801
• Hours of operations- M-F 8a-6p; S 10a-2p; Sunday 1p-5p
Gynecological Clinic: 1st and 3rd Tuesday evenings every month 5:30-7:30 P
Hours of Operation-
Patient Office Hours: M-Th 9A - 2P; W 9AM-7:30P; Closed Fridays
Medical Clinic/ Pharmacy and Social Work Services: M,T,W 9A-5P, and Wednesday evenings 5:30P- 8P
• All Free Clinic patients must provide their Social Security Number or documentation of legal residency in this country in order to receive services.
• Resident of Harrisonburg City or Rockingham County
• Do not have or qualify for any type of medical insurance, including Medicaid and Medicare
• Have a household income (before taxes) that is 200% or less of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
provides medical, financial, fuel and food stamp assistance to the citizens of Harrisonburg City and Rockingham County.
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)- provides food assistance
TANF (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families) provides temporary financial assistance to income and resource
Energy Assistance Program consists of two components: fuel assistance (coal, natural gas, LP gas, oil, or electricity) and emergency / crisis assistance.
1840 East Market Street,
A community health needs assessment prepared by Rockingham Memorial Hospital by community health solutions (2012), p. 12, 13, 15. Retrieved from www.rmhonline.com/uploads/public/documents/RMH-community-health-needs-assessment-2012.pdf
Nurse Staffing Plans & Ratios. (2013). American Nurses Association. Retrieved from:
Thompson, D., (2012). RMH completes community needs assessments. Retrieved from http://www.rmhonline.com/Main/News/RMH_Completes_Community_Health_Needs_Assessment_410.aspx
United Way of Harrisonburg and Rockingham County (2012). Retrieved from www.uwhr.org/partner-agency-programs
List of agencies (2009). Virginia Commonweatlh Unoversity School of social work. Retrieved from http://www.pubapps.vcu.edu/socialwork/field/list.aspx