Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Ashoka's Empire
The king s the highest authority. Ashoka appointed a new class of officers known as 'dhamma mahamattas'. He supervised all the officials with the help of royal family members and senior ministers. Purohita and Senapatti were some of the important central ministers.
Provinces were subdivided into districts known as 'Ahar' or 'Vishya'. The Pradeshika was the head of district administration. There were also officials, rajukka and yukta in district administration.
Types of administration
Maurya empire was divided into five provinces:
1) Prachi or Eastern Province ( capital Patiputra)
2) Uttrapatha or North Western province ( capital Taxila)
3) Avanti rashtra or Western provice ( capital Ujjain)
4) Dakshinpatha or Southern province ( capital Survarnagiri)
5) Kalinga Prantha ( capital Toshali )
Governor was the chief provincial administration. He was known as 'Kumar' or 'Aryputra'.
Village, the smallest unit of the administration, enjoyed a considerable autonomy. The head of the village was known as Gramik or Gramini.
Megasthenese was sent to court of Ashoka by Seculas Nictator( rular of Greeks) tells that Pataliputra was administrated by 30 members.There were 6 boards and five members. the boards are -:
1) Board of Industrial Art- was concened with art and industries.
2) Board of Foreigners- looked after the needs of the foreigners coming to city
3) Board of Trade and Commerce- regulated trade and commerce,weighs and measures and issuded licences for traders.
4) Board of Census- prepared the detail of birth and death in city.
5) Board of Taxation- main function was to collect tax.
6) Board of Quality Assurence- esured the quality of the manufaactured goods.
ChandraGupta Maurya organised a large army in order to extend and secure his empire. His rmy consists of 6,00,000 infantry, 30,000 calvary, 9,000 elephants and 8,000 chariots.
Images of army
Prisonor's being killed
Seleucus I was a leading officer of Alexander the Great's League of Corinth and one of the Diadochi. In the Wars of the Diadochi that took place after Alexander's death, Seleucus established the Seleucid dynasty and the Seleucid Empire.
Images of cities
Megasthenes was a Greek traveller and geographer to whom the subsequent Greek writers were chiefly indebted for their accounts of India.
The hellenistic king Seleucus I sent him as an ambassador to the court of King Chandragupta Maurya in India. His report about the culture, history and religion of India was the basis of Western knowledge about India.
We know nothing more respecting the personal history of him. Whether Megasthenes accompanied Alexander or not in his invasion of India, is uncertain.
Done by Aries house
By Austin, Fevin, Hannock, Ivan,
Some images of
Maurya dynasty kings
The man who
to start Maurya dynasty
and stop Nandas Dynasty