Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of HS812
Ethical and Legal issues in Advanced Practice
How do you make ethical decisions
Gut / Initial reaction
Experience / Intuition
Ethical decision making models
Ethical Decision making models
Ethical Analysis frameworks
Many Many more
- virtue ethics
- ethic of care
- deontological theory
- utilitarian theory
What is ethics ?
Ethics (from the Greek, ethikos)
- The branch of philosophy that deals with moral dimensions
- Concerned with what is right and wrong behaviour in a moral sense i.e.
- How people should behave
- What they should do in certain
- How they should treat other
The unfortunate experiment - HDC
Protected Disclosures Act (http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/video/33107/neil-pugmire-returns-to-work)
Ethical Issues in Practice
What does the research say ??
- Commonly occurring issues
> unsafe staff levels / healthcare
practices / colleagues
> breaches of ethical principles /
- Moral Distress
- Leaving nursing
- Wouldn't recommend nursing as a career
Professional Conduct Committee
Competency Review Panel
What happens when things don't go right ??
What happens when things go really wrong ??
Examples from Practice
Think of when you have been faced with an ethical issue
How did you react ....
Who did you talk to ...
What was done about it ...
How do you feel about it now ...
Changes in Health Care Law
'To tell or not to tell'
'A women's rights'
'Duty or Interference'
'When to tell'
'For the greater good'