Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Great Events: Mardi Gras
Transcript of Great Events: Mardi Gras
annually sydney mardi gras events & activities Mardi Gras:
Tourist Attraction Annual LGBT pride parade and festival held in Sydney equality LGBT =
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender celebration mardi gras parade grew from a gay rights' march first held in 1978 1. The Sydney Mardi Gras is an annual LGBT pride parade and festival in Sydney, Australia, attended by hundreds of thousands of people from around Australia and from overseas.
2. The event grew from gay rights marches held annually since 1978, when numerous participants had been contentiously arrested by New South Wales State Police. Gay right is about laws affecting lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people vary greatly by country or territory—everything from legal recognition of same-sex marriage or other types of partnerships, to the death penalty as punishment for same-sex romantic/sexual activity or identity.
3. Sydney Mardi Gras is one of Australia's biggest tourist drawcards,with the parade and dance party attracting many international and domestic tourists. It is New South Wales' second-largest annual event in terms of economic impact,generating an annual income of about 30 million (928.62 million Baht) for the state. Mardi Gras attracted 21,779 total visitors (including 8,700 from overseas) and generated $29.23m for the NSW economy.
4. Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras organises the Sydney Mardi Gras which includes over 100 different events, including the world famous Mardi Gras Parade with over 130 floats. Mardi Gras is the world`s premier gay and lesbian social, cultural and sporting festival spanning just over two weeks and presented across the City of Sydney and 5 other local government areas. To celebrate beauty & diversity... To raise social awareness for the rights of LGBT "Celebrating Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer & Intersex Pride" The new logo of the Sydney Mardi Gras, also known as "the Infinite Love Symbol" is made from two hearts touching each other and is an expression of "our one endless resource, LOVE" PERFORMANCE ART MARDI GRAS MUSEUM PARADES: The Sydney Mardi Gras Parade is the biggest event of its kind in the world. A vibrant, electric celebration of the power and beauty of diversity, bursting with creativity, colour and wonder designed to provoke and entertain. It is the highlight of the whole festival. PARTIES: PERFORMANCE ART: There are several parties held during the festival, such as the HARBOUR PARTY, POOL PARTY, MARDIGRASLAND and the LANEWAY (which is the official post-party located on Hill Street Laneway held on the afternoon after the Sydney Mardi Gras Parade) live music, stage plays, and special performances by comedians, celebrities and gay icons (such as Kylie Minogue) PARADES PARTIES VISUAL ARTS COMMUNITY & SOCIAL ACTIVITIES VISUAL ARTS: MUSEUM: COMMUNITY & SOCIAL ACTIVITIES: Art exhibitions celebrating LBGT around the world. This year's highlights include:
"Mardi Gaga: Back in the USSR", protesting against the Russian government's stance against homosexuality.
"Timposki – Japanese Gay Art dot com” a collection of erotic gay art from Japanese artists. The museum exhibits a collection that shows the fesitval's 35 year history, showing the evolution of the parade to the spectacle of the festival today. Key events include:
the Mardi Gras Drag Races - Sydney's top drag kings & queens compete in these races on Bondi Beach
Fair Day - Food tents and bars, stalls and displays, amusement rides, live music, etc. VISITOR CAPACITY ACCESSIBILITY: ACCOMMODATION: Plenty of hotel options available in Sydney. From Budget to Luxury.
Official Hotel Partner: Vibe Hotels Getting There/Around: Official Mardi Gras website = travel guide unofficial SCALE/AUDIENCE: ACCOMMODATION: ACCESSIBILITY: Getting there/around:
AIR: Sydney Airport (domestic + international)
ROAD: Bus network; Taxis
RAIL: Train; Trams; Monorail
WATER: Sydney Ferries Contribution to the Destination: Demographic: PINK/LBGT Tourism Promotes TOURISM NEW SOUTH WALES (NSW) Tour operators (inbound & outbound) benefit from this event - especially those who deal with the PINK/LBGT market Contributes approximately $AUD30 million to Sydney (hotel, food, shopping, events, etc.) Generates jobs to the local community. Also plenty of volunteer positions available SYDNEY G&L MARDI GRAS: BACKSTAGE ORGANIZATION STRUCTURE Board of
Directors Team Contractual
Work Seasonal (part-time)
Full-time agreements Marketing & Communications
Sponsorships & Partnerships
Workshops Volunteers co-chair treasurer director(s) board
secretary ceo event producer parade
producer talent &
coordinator finance &
officer ORGANIZATION STRUCTURE BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
to ensure the organization remains true to goals of the members & the broader community
their role: governance, developing policies, lobbying & ensuring that the company has the right professional management team TEAM:
the festival can only be successful with the massive community effort & volunteers, however the group needs to depend on a group of specialist staff to work permanently on the event. VOLUNTEERS:
The event relies on the help by volunteers - recognised by the organization, and therefore plenty of awards and incentives are given to the volunteers.
Approximately 2000 volunteers helped out each year
Many people volunteer either to gain experience, or to give back to the community the festival attracts up to 70,000 people during the course of the whole festival.
It is expect to continue to increase each year. FINANCIAL Ticket Sales
Commercial sponsorship, Government and Strategic partnerships, etc. Ticket Sales: there is no admission ticket for the festival, however certain events, parties and activities require a ticket before entry.
Donations/Fundraising: The Sydney Mardi Gras is about celebrating the power and beauty of diversity and showcasing our wonderful LGBTQI community. This costs millions of dollars each year, and the Parade is a large part of that. The organization relies on fundraisers, memberships and sponsors to support the event. LOGISTICS Security
Venue: Oxford St to Hyde Park, the Harbour & other areas in Sydney the festival attracts up to 70,000 people during the course of the whole festival.
It is expect to continue to increase each year. Plenty of hotel options available in Sydney. From Budget to Luxury.
Official Hotel Partner: Vibe Hotels Security: Additional police are patrolling around Sydney during the festival.
Safety/Emergency: Ambulances and crew members with first-aid training are always on duty to deal with the increase in visitors to Sydney.
Venue: Across Sydney. Key locations are Oxford St to Hyde Park and the Harbour (infront of the Sydney Opera House). LOGISITICS: FINANCIAL: Sven Altermatt
Ekabut Tangshewinsatien 5433857
5438859 54338575438859 NEGATIVE IMPACTS: Environment: Music sound from parade and also harbor concert create noise pollution to destination. Local people who live in the concerned area are effected by the noise pollution of parade and concert. Every year the event produces tons of trash. The garbage mainly come from visitor who join the event, parade and concert. The garbage such as plastic, aluminum and glass bottle are left behind after party. Those problems have direct impact on local environment.
Drugs: The excessive consumption of alcohol and illegal drug used are the common factors that lead to the negative outlook on the Mardi Gras events.
Crime : Hate-crimes seems to be the concerning point of this event as well. 'Hate Crime' refers to any act of crimes when the motivation is driven by discrimination of the victim (based on either their race, gender, sexual orientation, lifestyle choice, etc.). While many people who watch the parade are supportive of the GLBT community, some visitors see the parade as an opportunity to experience something ‘strange' and use the event to reinforce their negative attitudes towards homosexuals.
Visitor capacity: The number of visitor keeps increasing continuously. The over-crowding leads to many problems at the destination for example traffic congestion, over-consumption of natural resources and additional pollution being created, etc. Local people will suffer from excess traffic, parking problems and also general nuisance that the parade caused. RECOMMENDATIONS:
Sustainable green event : A volunteer group should be set up by the local people or event staff to clean the city after event done. Those garbage such as plastic, aluminum and glass bottle will be collected and proceed to recycling company.
Specialized pink tourism agency: Tour operator who specialized in pink market are able to accommodate inbound visitor effectively. Packaged tours could be arranged to satisfy the individual need of each visitor. The purchasing power of pink tourist seems to be high and also they are willing to spend to whatever they like and exclusive.
Specialized Capacity Management: Mardi Gras and local government should join hands together in order to manage the tourist capacity of the event. Inviting a specialised group of people who experienced in capacity management could reduce the overcrowded problem. Overcrowding is the factor that some of the criminal activities occur at the event (potential victims who are drunk and have let their guard down, a large gathering of a minority group, etc. NEGATIVE
IMPACTS environment illicit substance abuse opportunities for crime overloaded visitor
capacity NOISE POLLUTION RUBBISH HATE CRIMES THEFT "not-for-profit company overseen by a Board of Directors elected by a membership of 3,500 people." SUGGESTIONS sustainable green event specialized PINK tourism agency controlled visitor capacity management