Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM

Copy

Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.

DeleteCancel

LIFE CYCLE ANALYSIS OF A CIGARETTE

No description
by

Jesse Harris

on 13 February 2014

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of LIFE CYCLE ANALYSIS OF A CIGARETTE

LIFE CYCLE OF A CIGARETTE
PHASE ONE: ACUISTITION OF RAW MATERIALS
LIFE CYCLE ANALYSIS OF A CIGARETTE
TOBACCO
IS CULTIVATED AND HARVESTED: HEAVY MACHINERY IS USED, MASS AMOUNT OF ENERGY REQUIRED
PAPER

PULP
AND SEED FLAX: PAPER PULP IS 90% WOOD. IT TAKES 1 FULL TREE TO PRODUCE JUST 300 CIGARETTE. 6 TRILLION ARE PRODUCED EACH YEAR. THAT EQUALS 18.6 BILION TREES
CO2 EMMISIONS
4.2 MILLION HECTARES OF TOBACCO FARMLAND WORLDWIDE=
LOSS OF WILDLIFE AND BIODIVESITY
MORE LOSS OF WILDLIFE HABITATION
PHASE TWO: PRODUCTION ON THE FARM AND MANUFACTURING IN THE FACTORY
LEAVES ARE DRIED USING
ARTIFICIAL HEAT
THEN,
FLUE CURED
FOLLOWED BY
FIRE CURED
MOISTERIZED AGAIN TO PREVENT CRACKING
WEIGHED, GRADED, AND INSPECTED BY GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL,THEN AUCTIONED OFF TO THE TOBACCO COMAPNY
ONCE SOLD AND SHIPPED TO THE FACTORY, THE TOBACCO IS THEN
CHEMICALLY TREATED
TO ENHANCE FLAVOUR AND PROPER FLAMMABIITY
THE IT IS AGED FOR UP TO 3 YEARS TO ENHANCE MORE FLAVOUR
ONCE ROLLED, CUT, BLENDED, THE CIGARTTES ARE SEALED IN A PLASTIC CELLOPHANE AD A CARDBOARD CONTAINER,
DURING THESE STEPS, MASS AMOUNTS OF ENERGY ARE USED:
INDUSTIRAL FARMING EQUIPMENT=CO2(OUTPUTS)
TRANSPORTATION BETWEEN FARM, TREATMENT CENTER, BUYERS FACTORY,THEN TO THE RETAILER=CO2 OUTPUTS
CHEMICAL TREATMENT FACTORY OUTPUTS THOUSANDS, EVEN MILLIONS OF TONS OF HAZARDOUS POLLUTANTS
BLENDING, AGING, CURING= 3-5 YEARS PROCESS
PHASE THREE:
TRANSPORTATION BETWEEN FARM, TREATMENT CENTER, BUYERS FACTORY,THEN TO THE RETAILER=CO2 OUTPUTS
USUALLY HANDLE BY TRANSPORT TRUCKS FOR DOMESTIC USE, BUT FOR IMPORTING AND EXPORTING INTERNATIONALLY,IT IS USUALLY SHIPPED BY FREIGHT CONTAINER BOATS
PHASE FOUR: USE
AVERAGE RETAIL COST FOR 25 CIGARETTES=$ 10.14
WHILE BURING, SMOKE POLLUTES USERS LUNGS AND THE SURROUNDING ENVIRONMENT
CARBON MONOXIDE
BENZENE
HYDRO CARBONATE
CORONARY HEART DISEASE
EMPHYSEMA
LUNG DISEASE
LUNG CANCER
STROKE
PHASE FIVE: DISPOSAL
ONLY 15% OF BUTTS END UP IN A DESIGNATED WASTE CONTAINER, REMAINING 85% ARE FLICKED INTO OUR ENVIRONMENT
Worldwide, it is estimated that 1.69 billion pounds of cigarette butts end up as waste each year
Cigarette butts are the most common toxic waste found in cleanups
The toxic chemicals in cigarette butts are a threat to our aquatic ecosystems in particular
SOLUTIONS:
BIODEGRADABLE FILTERS
FINES FOR LITTERING
HIGHER RETAIL PRICES
EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION
BY-BACK PROGRAMS
Full transcript