Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Cultural Assimilation
What is it?
-adopting a new culture as your own
-abandoning one's native cultural characteristics in order to blend in with the majority culture
How does it happen?
-requiring members of a minority culture to adopt the cultural characteristics of the majority
-intentional effort to cause a group of people to abandon their culture by direct or indirect means
Mr. Blan in Turkey
Evie Blan in Texas
Examples from this year?
Forced Assimilation has caused decades of conflict in Turkey.
What do you know about Turkey?
Kurdish regional heritage
renaming of villages (and children)
What are examples of cultural characteristics?
-African slaves in the United States
-Group of people (approx. 15 million) mostly living in southeastern Turkey, which is far behind the rest of the country economically
-Kurds want cultural equality.
-Kurdish fighters have launched attacks against Turkey from their hideouts in the mountains of northern Iraq since the 1980s.
-After promising reform and more freedom, the government has returned to its strong resistance of a Kurdish identity.
1. In groups, read the two excerpts and answer the questions on the second page. Highlight any words you don't understand.
2. By yourself, read and complete the Pros and Cons Sheet. When finished, share with someone in your group your choice and why.
(If you need help with the words below,
use this as your guide.)
nation-state = country
exploitation = unfairness
oppression = abuse
domain = area
authorities = governments
suffocation = elimination
What is the Turkish Government doing?
Who is the PKK?
Who are the Kurds?