Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Smart Home
Health-Smart Home: the issues
Regarding the development of smart homes, some ethical problems raised
- Privacy: people do not control the types of data collected or their use. How do we ensure respect for privacy ?
- Dependence: do we not risk creating a new dependance on technical devices that will control our lives ?
--> Users need to be informed
--> Suppliers have to invest in order to protect
--> Conservation of alternatives to secure
I) The History of Smart Homes
Technology becomes smart
- 2000/2001: creation of Smart Homes in Netherlands, attracts many thousand of visitors
- 2010: Nest, development of next generation wifi connected thermostat and smoke alarm, conservation and communication
2013: Microsoft launches LOT (Lab of Things) to encourage research on home automation
The future is now
In Europe, 168 companies in the Digital Living Network Alliance
Goal: to streamline communication between PCs, devices and home entertainment systems
3 expectations of the home:
(take smart use),
(physical sec, emotion conform) and
(long response to our behaviour, every family have different needs)
“There will be not one home of the future but billions”
City are growing, need an organization
Technology can help people to live comfortable
(Boo-Keun Yoon, one of the Samsung's CEO)
electrically powered machines in homes
new domestic technologies, in UK: increase of 65% of household mains electricity
household devices became common in the home, more and more electronic product
X10 communication between appliances
Interest in home automation, creation of the group "Smart House" , Computer introduction
: Concept of Smart Home entered popular culture for the first time
BUT there are some issues regarding the respect for the dignity and privacy of these persons (all kinds of data are collected).
-> And what if there is a system malfunction which
jeopardize the health of the patients ? -> Which responsibility should be engaged ?
THESE ISSUES CONCERN ALL OF US
II) Smart home: the drawbacks
What is it?
Smart home is a building control system, which provides integrated, centralised control of two or more individual systems.
Environmental control system (heating, air conditioning and ventilation)
Household appliances (clothes dryers, washing machines, refrigerators, freezers, dishwashers, ovens, coffee-makers, microwaves, etc.)
Consumer electronics (TV, radio, audio-video equipment, game consoles, etc.)
Building components (blinds, curtains, windows, doors, etc.).
Smart home: A wide range concept
How does it work?
Promising market (reach 21 billion US dollars by 2020)
● The role of major ICT players in promoting smart home products and systems is changing;
● Ownership of personal smartphone or digital tablets is continuing to rise;
● Voice, data and image (VDI) media are increasingly digitised;
● E-commerce is leading to the development of services for the residential market
Highly segmented market
Niche market => concentrated in the high-end housing market
Smart home systems markets
--> More adapted laws must be set
up to better protect users
I) Smart Homes: History and concept
a. History of the emergence of Smart Homes
b. The concept and its promising market
II) The analyze of Smart Homes
a. The advantages
b. The drawbacks
III) Ethical Implications of “Smart Home”Technology
a. Case study: Health-Smart Home
b. Ethical issues
c. The solutions
A smart home is a digital home with lot of software and high technology
--> What does it mean for us?
--> How will it change our way of living?
--> How can we build it?
Different players, different definitions:
=> Main ideas: "an automated home" and an "informaional home"
According to Michael Pessina, president of Lutron Electronics, the idea of smart home is above all a concept of
a new home life experience.
- Build new homes with the additional wiring and controls which are required to run advanced home automation systems.
- Do some
: adding smart home technologies to an existing house to make it a smart home.
- A domotic box
- An operator screen (tablet, smartphone that enables to do the remote control)
- Mode of transmission ( Wifi, Bluetooth, By infrared, Hertzian radio waves, power line, Ethernet cable network..)
Smart home market in Europe
Smart home applications market in Europe
- Siemens AG (Germany)
- Schneider Electric SA (France)
- Ingersoll-Rand Plc. (Ireland)
- Legrand (France) - ABB (Switzerland) for Lightening control market
-Security and hacking issues
-The dependence of the
smartphone in the use you the devices.
-The lack of privacy
-The price of smart homes
I) The concept of smart homes
Health-Smart Home: the solution for disabled and senior persons?
Health-smart home for dependent people :
- home support
- monitoring of medical parameters through sensors
- teledetection of critical situations (fall, faint) ...
II) Smart homes: the benefits
It is very convenient
Cameras and motion sensors
Energy and budget saving.
Smart homes make your house safer.
It makes your life easier!
We have to be careful and aware of the risks of these technologies. However, if we are able to control them, they could significantly contribute to improve our living standards.