Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Salem Witch Trials
Transcript of The Salem Witch Trials
Salem Witch Trials
Regan Marek, Carter Wilson, Sviatoslav Leniuk, Andro Faltas
WHERE AND WHEN DID IT OCCUR
A Brief History
• How many witches were burned at the stake?
• Held in Salem Village, Massachusetts and began in the spring of 1962
• 3 girls accused townsfolk of possessing them.
• These accused townsfolk were found guilty and sent to jail.
• This planted the seed of paranoia and caused mass hysteria amongst Salem's people.
• Creation of a special court, who convicted Bridget Bishop of witchcraft and executed her.
• 21 more women and men were executed before the Governor visited Salem and put a stop to the persecution thus ending the trials for good.
Victims and Victims' Family:
Government confiscated property from individuals who were found guilty
Families were left with no money and sometimes without home
Once pardon was issued, many remained in prison
Could not pay for release
In 1957, Act was passes that pronounced all of the the accused in Salem Witch Trials were exonerated
Re-election of town committee was held on January 15, 1693
New committee was against Parris's ideals
Samuel Parris left the town in April of 1695
Joseph Green was Parris's successor
Organized fasting and prayer for forgiveness on January 13, 1697
Seated accusers with accused to discuss the event and to attempt to forgive one another
It was successful to some extend since few accused rejoined community
In 1711, Massachusetts House of Representative passes a bill disallowing spectral evidence
Event help shaped the current judicial system
provides citizens the right to be only arrested when reason and evidence are provided
In 1752, Salem Town separated into Salem Village and Danvers
City embraced its history and has been using it as tourist attraction
On May 9, 1992, Witchcraft Victim's Memorial of Danvers was build in memory of all victims in the 1692 witch trials
The Salem Witch Trials took place between February 1692 and May 1693
They were held in several towns in Massachusetts
Anyone found guilty of witch craft were hanged on Gallows hill.
While The Salem Witch Trials were happening The Nine Years' War was also had been for the past 4 years.
Fear of witches and the devil himself
King Charles II regained the throne from the puritans
Poor economic and environmental times.
Increasing rivalries within the settlement
An unusable confession
Some bad wheat.
WHY HAS IT OCCURRED