Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of HORROR
Ways of Knowing
Webster's New Dictionary
the strong feeling caused by something frightful or shocking;shuddering fear and disgust
Cognitively: Our Brain
Factors of Fear
Movies vs. Reality
"Fight or Flight" Response
Excitation Transfer Process
Heart rate, blood pressure, respiration increases
Positive emotions = more likely to see a scary movie again
Negative emotions = less likely to see a scary movie again
Our perception of how potentially dangerous or terrifying situation may be is reliant on each individual's schema
framework that represents some aspect of the world
Schemas influence attention and the absorption of knowledge
Horror Movies Back Then
Horror Movies Now
Why do people experience different degrees of fear?
- the part of the brain where it decides where to send data
- interprets sensory data
- processes stimuli to establish context
- decodes emotions; determines possible threat; stores fear memories
- activates "fight or flight" response
Fight or flight response
Playing a major role in our society today
Fiction vs. Reality
Ways of Knowing
The affect of horror
Pause at 20 sec
1:00 min to 1:25
Charles Darwin noted that facial expressions vary little across cultures
The function of the amygdala is critical for the recognition of emotion in others
Response is automatic
If they all saw the same movie, then why did they have different opinions regarding how scary they thought the movie was?
How scary was the movie?
by: Alessandra Hinojosa