Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
1066 and the Battle of Hastings
Transcript of 1066 and the Battle of Hastings
Local nobility support Edward (now known as 'Edward the Confessor'), and he returns to claim the Throne of England. Edward HATES his queen - he only married her for political purposes. He hates he so much that he never has any children!
When Edward dies, he leaves behind no heir. This leads to a SUCCESSION CRISIS. Who is the new King?! Harold Godwinson Claim: He is the brother-in-law of the king (i.e. he is the brother of Edward's queen). Tostig Godwinson Claim: He is Harold's younger brother. Harold betrayed him and forced him into exile - he wants revenge! Tostig Godwinson Harald Hardrada Claim: He is a descendant of Canute the Great. He wishes to return Viking influence to England. William, Duke of Normandy Claim: Says that Edward promised him the crown when he was in exile in Normandy.
Also says that Harold swore an oath that he would support his claim. THE NEW KING OF ENGLAND: WILLIAM THE CONQUEROR! THE YEAR OF 1066