Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of Copy of CHAPTER 16: In Belgian Brussels (1890)
Transcript of Copy of Copy of CHAPTER 16: In Belgian Brussels (1890)
January 28, 1890
Why did he left Paris?
The cost of living in Paris was very high because of the Universal Exposition.
The gay social life of he city hampered his literary works.
He was busy writing his second novel.
He wrote articles for La Solidaridad.
He wrote letters to his family and friends.
He spent part of his time in the medical clinic.
He had gymnastics at the gymnasium and target practice and fencing at the armory.
Articles Published in La Solidaridad
in defense of his oppressed people
to point out the evils of Spanish rule in the Philippines
New Orthography of Tagalog Language.
He was the first to advocate the Filipinization of its orthography.
September 1886 & 1887 - When he was in Lepzig and Berlin, he adopted the Filipinized Tagalog orthography in his Tagalog translations of Schiller's Willhelm Tell and Andersen's Fairy Tales and Noli Me Tangere
April 15, 1890 - Sobre la Nueva Ortografia de la Lengua Tagala (The New Orthography of the Tagalog Language)
Dr. Trinidad H. Pardo de Tavera
El Sanscrito en la Lengua Tagala
(Sanskrit in the Tagalog Language)
Rizal Criticizes Madrid Filipinos for Gambling.
According to Luna and Ventura, Filipinos in Spain were destroying the good name of their nation by gambling too much.
At the end of the lesson, the 3rd year Maritime students with 80% accuracy are expected to:
1. Enumerate some of the things Jose Rizal did in Brussels;
2. Express one's opinions about hearing the bad news that Jose Rizal received while he was in Brussels; and
3. Perform and participate the game "Message Relay"
Rizal was accompanied by Jose Albert when he moved to Brussels. They lived in a modest boarding house on 38 Rue Philippe Champagne. Run by Suzanne and Marie. Then when Albert left the city he was replaced by Jose Alejandro.
1. A La Defensa (To La Defensa) - A reply to an anti-Filipino writing of a Spanish author Paticio de la Escosura.
2. La Verdad Para Todos (The Truth for All) - Rizal’s defense against the Spanish charges that the native local officials were ignorant and depraved.
3. Vicente Barrantes' Teatro Tagalo - He exposes Barrantes’ ignorance on the Tagalog theatrical art.
4. Una Profanacion (A Profanation) - A bitter attack against the friars for denying Christian burial to Mariano Herbosa in Calamba because he was a brother-in-law of Rizal.
5. Verdades Nuevas ( New Truths) - A reply to Vicente Belloc Sanchez’ letter published in La patria. Which asserted that the granting of reforms in the Philippines would ruin the “peaceful and maternal rule” of the friars.
6. Crueldad (Cruelty) - A brilliant defense of Blumentritt from the scurrilous attacks of his enemies.
7. Diferencias (Differences) - A reply to a Biased article “Old Truths” which ridiculed those Filipinos who asked for reforms.
8. Inconsequencias (Inconsequences) - A defense of Antonio Luna against the attack of Pablo Mir Deas in the Barcelona newspaper El Pueblo Soberano.
9. Llanto y Risas (Tears and Laughter) - A denunciation of Spanish racial prejudice against the brown Filipinos.
10. Ingratitudes (Ingratitude) - A reply to Gov. Gen. Valeriano Weyler who, while visiting Calamba, told the people that they “ should not allow themselves to be deceived by the vain promises of their ungrateful sons.
Bad News from Home
The Calamba agrarian trouble was getting worst.
The management of the Dominican hacienda continually raised the land rents.
The Dominican order filled a suit in court to dispossess the Rizal Family of their lands in Calamba.
The tenants were persecuted.
Paciano, Antonio Lopez and Silvestre Ubaldo were deported to Mindoro.
Manuel T. Hidalgo – was banished to Bohol for the second time.
Preparation to Go Home
Rizal planned to go home. He could not stay in Brussels writing a book while his parents, relatives and friends in the distant Philippines were persecuted.
Decision to go to Madrid
Something happened that made Rizal to change his plan in returning to the Philippines when he received a letter from Paciano which related that they lost the case against the Dominicans in Manila but they appealed it to the Supreme Court in Spain.
Romance with Petite Jacoby
Two things brought some measure of cheer to the despondent Rizal as he was preparing for his trip to Madrid:
The summertime festival of Belgium, which was celebrated in carnival style.
His romance with Petite Jacoby, the pretty niece of his landladies.
Rizal was so charming and dignified a gentleman the Petite Susanne was attracted to him.
He was lonely in a strange country and Leonor Rivera was so far away.
Like other women – Segunda Katigbak, Orang Valenzuela, Leonor Rivera, O-Sei-San, Gettie Beckett, Consuelo Ortiga y Perez and Nellie Boustead – Susanne fell in love with Rizal
I. True or False
Directions: Read each statement below carefully. Write Brussels if it is true and Belgian if it is false. Write your answer in the space provided before each number. (5 pts.)
1. Rizal criticizes Filipinos in Madrid for gambling.
2. Manuel H. del Pilar was banished to Bohol for the second time.
3. The poem written by Rizal in Brussels is titled "To My Muse".
4. With the sufferings of his family in Calamba, Rizal didn't want to go home.
5. Rizal was so charming and dignified a gentleman, that petite sussane was attracted to him.
II. Directions: Give at least 5 things Rizal did while he was in Belgian Brussels. (10 pts.)
In a short bond paper, write at least 20 Filipinized tagalog terms that are used nowadays by the Filipino.