Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Aveeno Baby Sunscreen
Transcript of Aveeno Baby Sunscreen
- PEG 100 Stearate Look out for: By Arnie Raina As a new parent or a returning trooper, you want what's best for your bundle of joy. Informative Info believes you should know what will keep you and your child safe, healthy, and of course, happy. Parents' Guide #1: SUN CARE Structural Diagram Characteristics of the Chemical - Oxybenzone is an excellent UVA / UVB absorber because of the interaction between the phenyl rings and carbonyl group (and overlapping pi bonds). When UV rays hit the molecule, the transference of electrons from the carbon of the carbonyl towards three of the carbons of the phenyl rings cause the ray to be (mostly) absorbed. The rest is dispersed above the oxybenzone coated surface as heat.
- Electronegativity of the large, non-polar benzene rings (EN=0) makes the compound less soluble in water, thus the sunscreen does not wash off the skin easily
(NCBI, 2012) Oxybenzone Uses
- hair sprays
- hair dyes,
- shampoo/ detergent bars
- sunscreen lotions Synthesis 1. Synthesised using two methods: when benzoic acid is condensed with resorcinol monomethyl ether by using , polyphosphoric acid as a catalyst. (NCBI, 2012)
2. Synthesized benzoyl chloride is put in a Friedel-Crafts reaction ( a reaction involving the attachment of a substituent to an aromatic hydrocarbon ring) with 3-hydroxyanisole. However, this method requires the product to be recrystallized and dried to remove water and ethanol. (NCBI, 2012) Structural Diagram Overall Recommendation Informative Info rules out Aveeno Baby sunscreen SPF 55 as a good sun care product for your child because of the dangers associated with the chemicals found in it. With a total of 30 chemicals contained in the sunscreen bottle and 2/3 of the randomly picked researched chemicals were found to have the potential for severe health hazards, one must question the safety of the other chemicals and the safety if the entire product as a whole.; It could be possible that two thirds of the total chemicals have detrimental side effects. So know exactly what chemicals your child is exposed to in the sun care products that YOU pick for them and choose safe alternatives for a healthy, happy baby. Do you know how safe the products are? Do you know what ingredients the product contain? & For example, take Aveeno Baby Sunscreen Lotion SPF 55 ... - Salicylate
- Caprylyl Methicone
- Diethylhexyl 2 6 Naphthalate
- Disodium EDTA
- Ethylhexyl Stearate
- Ethylhexl Glycerin
- Glyceryl Stearate
- Methylparaben - Phenoxyethanol
- Sodium Polyacrylate
- Styrene Acrylates Copolymer
- Trideceth 6 - Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour
- VP/Hexadecene Copolymer
- Xanthan Gum
(GoodGuide, 2012) Take a moment to reflect: Do you know how to pronounce most of these ingredients, let alone know what these chemicals do upon contact to your baby's skin? * Highlighted chemicals have more information on them * What to look for when selecting a product: Let's find out.. - Function
- Other products the chemical is found in
- How the chemical is synthesized
- Hazards and health concerns Chemicals that were highlighted in the previous list have been researched. Let us see what we found Ingredient #1 : Oxybenzone Figure 2: Structural diagram of the chemical Oxybenzone. Functional groups and bond types between atoms are colour coded and labeled. One way of determining the safety of a product is by looking at what other products it is in... This is to prevent the specified products from photo degradation or chemically dismantling due to UV exposure.
(Chemicalland21, 2012) Hazards/ Safety Suncare products with Oxybenzone= Due to the numerous studies done and based on thorough research done by Informative Info the conclusion is that oxybenzone is unsafe for use in cosmetic products. It has already been proven that oxybenzone is a penetration enhancer and thus is absorbed into the skin in comparatively large numbers. Although it is uncertain exactly how harmful this chemical can be, I think that through prolonged use, oxybenzone has the potential to cause numerous internal problems such as problems in the urinary tract and blood stream, and possible skin cancer; based on the fact if a chemical meant to block UV is being absorbed into the skin, it can also increase how much UV the skin absorbs as well. With so many uncertainties and controversy behind a chemical, products containing oxybenzone should not be used, especially not for your baby. Ingredient #2 : Butylated Hydroxy Toluene Figure 3: Structural diagram of the chemical BHT. Functional groups and bond types between atoms are colour coded and labeled. Characteristics of the Chemical To gain a better idea of how Oxybenzone is actually made ... It is important to look into exactly what hazards the chemicals in your baby's product can have -Since the majority of the molecule is non-polar ( including the large and non-polar benzene ring), with the exception of the hydroxyl group, the molecule becomes hydrophilic and therefore it is lipophilic (attracted to oils and fat) as well.
- This lipophilic characteristic of BHT, along with the fact that I contains a benzene ring also makes it an antioxidant and fat preservative
(Ohio State Education, 2005) More on Antioxidants Antioxidants work by getting rid of free radicals (unstable atoms with unpaired electrons). Free radicals have the tendency to grab or donate electrons to anything they can; which in turn damages cells, proteins and DNA in your body.
BHT acts as a "free radical scavenger" which combines with peroxy radicals to stop the process of oxidation .
(Ohio State Education, 2005) - In a study done on rats, it was found that the chemical penetrates the skin, and can be found in excretions and blood; the major excretion path for the chemical being urine. Also when 11 volunteers applied the recommended amount of a commercially available sunscreen containing oxybenzone, after a 48 hour period, an average of approximately 0.4% of the applied amount of the chemical was found in the urine. (NCBI, 2012)
- Endocrine and reproduction functions were seen to be altered (where less eggs hatched in higher concentrations of oxybenzone contaminated water) in two fish species bred in water containing 1000 g/L nominal concentration (749 g/L median measured value) of oxybenzone ; approximately 75 times greater than the concentrations observed in previous wastewater effluent.
(Coronado .et al, 2008) BHT Uses - Personal care and cosmetic products from lipstick to creams and lotions
- Food preservative in items such as chewing gum, cereals, ice cream, oils, beer, food packaging, and pet food. BHT is used to extend the shelf life of items to prevent food from spoiling.
(My Phenom Fitness, 2011) Hazards/ Safety -In a study done on mice over 10 and 24 days, focusing on their lungs, it was found that BHT acted as a tumour promoter due to oxidative stress, from analysing protein carbonyls from the lungs of the mice. (Shearn. et al, 2011)
- BHT thought to be linked to hyperactivity in children, as hypothesized by a study done on children while testing the impact of their diet on their overall behaviour (Feingold,1979) BHT testing done on (unspecified) animals showed impairment in blood clotting abilities along with specific toxic effects to the lung. However, these detrimental effects were often apparent only after long term exposure to a high quantity of BHT. IBHT has been determined as not safe for use in cosmetics and food products by Informative Info because even though most of the exact hazards are not known, the speculated hazards are extremely severe (and almost all current published findings acknowledge BHT as a tumour promoter). More research is definitely in order because the rat studies really showed the potential dangers, but the amount of these substances given to the rats is substantially more than the amount in the foods humans can consume. A study to replicate the cumulative amount of BHT that an average person ingests/ absorbs should be done to show the cumulative impact of BHT from food, cosmetics and other products. Suncare products with
BHT= Synthesis BHT is manufactured by reacting para-cresol and isobutylene in the presence of an acid catalyst
(Merisol, 2009) Structural Diagram Figure 4: Structural diagram of the chemical Trideceth-6. Functional groups and bond types between atoms are colour coded and labeled. Characteristics of the Chemical - Emulsifying agent; maintains consistency of liquids that usually are immiscible. The oxygen (O to the OH is known as the ethylene glycol and polar end), polar, end of the molecule attracts the water, polar molecules, while the carbon end (O to the CH3 is known as the alkyl and hydrophobic end) is non-polar. Thus it mixes immiscible liquids together.
- Acts as a surfactant for the same reason. The non-polar carbon end attracts non-polar dirt and oil molecules while the oxygen end has the ability to latch onto water and the entire molecule (including the dirt and oil) can be washed away
(CIR Expert Panel, 2010) Ingredient #3 : Trideceth-6 Figure 1: Aveeno Baby Sunscreen SPF 55. One of the many, seemingly safe sun care products for babies. Trideceth-6 Uses -Used in numerous cosmetics and personal care products; especially in hair dyes and bleaches along with many skin oils and creams
-Trideceth chemicals are also FDA approved for use in paper packaging used for the packaging of food Trideceth chemicals are mainly used to maintain consistency of liquids and keep surfaces clean.
(GoodGuide, 2012) Synthesis Created by reacting ethylene oxide with tridecyl alcohol. The number that is designated to the Trideceth is determined by the average number of repeating ethylene oxide units in the reactant
(CosmeticsINFO.org) Hazards/ Safety - Trideceth chemicals were found to test negative in developmental and reproductive toxicity studies and the mutagenicity (ability to induce genetic mutations) However, these chemicals are known to be skin irritants so the CIR (Cosmetic Ingredient Review) Expert Panel came to the conclusion that the chemicals were safe to be used when specifically formulated to be non-irritating.
(CIR Expert Panel, 2010)
- In a study on male and female rats, various clinical tests, haematological and urinalysis values were not found to be altered when trideceth was applied onto a shaved portion of the back. However, the rats did show lesions and other signs of dermal irritation from mild to moderate. (CIR Expert Panel, 2010) Suncare products with
Trideceth-6 = After researching Trideceth-6 and other chemicals in the Trideceth family, Informative Info has given the thumbs up in saying that it is safe for use in most cosmetics. Through the various animal tests conducted with Trideceth, however, only trideceth products that have been formulated to be non-irritating should be used for the well-being of consumers. At the end of the day, as yourself this: do you want your child to be exposed to these chemicals; potentially setting them up for future disorders and health concerns? But this does not mean you cannot take your baby out in the sun. In fact, the Vitamin D from the sun is good for your child, as deficiency can cause rickets. Safe Alternatives First of all, look for a sunscreen that is specifically Oxybenzone and BHT free. For a completely natural alternative, turn to sesame, coconut, aloe vera, red raspberry, hemp seed, carrot seed, alfalfa, jojoba, soybean, and avocado oils .etc or green products containing theses oils which have no detrimental side effects and leave the skin naturally soft.
(Buru, 2012) APA References See document :
Cosmetics Project References Although the chemicals researched had a majority of their hazard
noticeable only after long term exposure to a high amount, you must ask yourself, as a parent, if you want to let your child to be readily exposed to these chemicals just as they enter the world; no doubt they'll be exposed to more chemicals in different amounts over their lifetime. Visit ©Informative Info frequently for more Parent Guides. Making your busy life, a lot easier.