Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
TECHNICAL WRITING : AN INTRODUCTION
Transcript of TECHNICAL WRITING : AN INTRODUCTION
WHAT IS TECHNICAL WRITING?
"Technical writing conveys specific information about a technical subject to a specific audience for a specific purpose. The words and graphics of technical writing are meant to be practical: that is, to communicate a body of factual information that will help an audience understand a subject or carry out a task."
WHAT IS TECHNICAL WRITING?
conveys specific information about a technical subject
. The words and graphics of technical writing are meant to be
: that is, to communicate a body of
that will help an audience understand a subject or carry out a task."
Should answer the questions:
WHY AM I WRITING THIS?
- WHAT BENEFITS CAN THIS BRING?
- WHAT SHOULD THIS DOCUMENT ACCOMPLISH?
EXAMPLES OF TECHNICAL DOCUMENTS:
DISCUSS THE FOLLOWING:
WHAT IS YOUR DEFINITION OF TECHNICAL WRITING?
IN YOUR OPINION, WHAT ARE THE ELEMENTS NEEDED IN TECHNICAL WRITING?
LIST FIVE EXAMPLES OF TECHNICAL DOCUMENTS
WHY SHOULD YOU BE LEARNING ABOUT TECHNICAL WRITING?
AS A TECHNICAL WRITER....
4 IMPORTANT QUESTIONS TO THINK ABOUT:
1. Who will read what I write?
2. Why should they read what I write?
3. What do I have to say to them?
4. How can I best communicate?
IDENTIFYING YOUR AUDIENCE
Keep in mind:
Members of each audience differ in
How you picture your audience will determine what you say to them.
Viewing something from the audience’s perspective will help you select the most relevant details for that audience.
ELEMENTS IN TECHNICAL WRITING
NOW THAT IS QUITE A LONG DEFINITION...
When writing procedures especially you need to ask:
• Who will use the product?
• Under what conditions?
• What is the user's expertise, training, level of experience?
HOW CAN YOU EDIT THAT?
TWO MAJOR ELEMENTS
needed to create a technical document:
Establishing Your Purpose
- users manual/guide
- software documentation
- policies / procedures
- research writing
- scientific writing
let's review back what we have gone through so far!