Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Career Profile Mechanical Engineering: Jeffrey Eichelman
Transcript of Career Profile Mechanical Engineering: Jeffrey Eichelman
What is Mechanical Engineering
Some tasks would be manufacturing:
plants industrial equipment and machinery, heating and cooling systems, transport systems, aircraft, watercraft, robotics, medical systems, weapons, and others.
Some responsibilities are to:
confer with engineers and other personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, and provide technical information.
Investigate equipment failures and difficulties to diagnose faulty operation, and to make recommendations to maintenance crew.
Some general skill required for engineers are:
verbal and written communication skills
mechanical engineers have the ability to resolve problems
implement solutions to problems.
have the ability to solve mathematical problems and use scientific rules and methods.
also have the ability to use certain tools.
What positive qualities can help you to succeed?
-good work ethic
About the Job
Where does most of this work take place?
- Most work occurs in offices
- on occasion will visit a work site
What specific high school courses and activities can help you to prepare for this career?
- Four years of English
- Four years of Math
- Chemistry, biology, and physics
- Two years of Social Studies
- Two years of a Foreign Language
- Engineering Technology
Entry level $49,730
Mid career $80,850
Why it fits me
What aspects of the career seem like a particularly good match for you? Why?
- The problem solving and the need to be logical.
-Hands on approach when visiting a work site
What personality traits are a good fit for this career? Which are not a good fit?
- being logical
- being organized
- be a perfectionist
What health and safety risks does the job have?
- Some risks:
-exposure to hazardous or toxic substances
-exposure to severe vibrations
What post secondary course of study or training is required for this career?
- Minimum Bachelors of Science
- Can go for either Masters or Doctoral degree
Is the demand for workers expected to increase, decrease, or stay the same over the next decade? why?
-Is expected to grow 9% in the next decade
List three employers that might hire.
-Department of Energy
-Department of Defense
-Ford Motor Company
What aspects are not a good match?
-Sitting in an office and having to work at a desk.
What would be exciting/ challenging about this career?
- Getting to design and build different things to help better the world would be both exciting and challenging. The best part would be to see my designs being used by the public.
Mechanical engineering is a discipline of engineering that applies the principles of engineering, physics and materials science for analysis, design, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems. It is the branch of engineering that involves the production and usage of heat and mechanical power for the design, production, and operation of machines and tools
duration: 4 years BS and 2 more years for a Masters
Degrees: Bachelor's of Science, Masters
Duration: 4 years Mech E and 2 years for Masters 1 year for either Doctor of Science or Doctor of Philosophy
Degrees: Doctor of Science, Mechanical Engineer (Mech E),
Doctor of Philosophy, Masters of Science
Duration: 4 years BS and 2 years for Masters
Degrees: Bachelor's of Science, Master's of Science