Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Propaganda in The Book Thief
Transcript of Propaganda in The Book Thief
- Propaganda was originally from the Roman Catholic ('de propaganda fidei')
- Meaning became negative ( due to Nazi)
message to persuade audience
used to change one's behavior, and how they think
Propaganda Definition and Background
Before the World Wars, propaganda was used in a good light with a meaningful purpose.
It was used for:
(marketing and sales)
Newspapers and journalism
lead people to specific point of view)
Info from government
Propaganda History (Modern)
If you tell a lie, tell a big one"
There was various forms of propaganda in this book:
1. 'Mein Kampf' - Hitlers propaganda
2. 'The Word Shaker (Max)
3. Power of Words
Propaganda in The Book Thief
Propaganda History (WW2)
- aims to reassure their own side
- aims to demoralize their enemy
Forms of Propaganda
Governments controlled what was said in newspapers, radios, etc,.
Airplanes used to send leaflets for allied countries for reassurance and hope
Propaganda History (WW2) cont'd
Germany and Japan
Governments used propaganda to hypnotize
Used to indoctrinate people to believe they are superior to the enemy.
Britain and The United States
Politicians were more subtle
Used to persuade citizens on how important it was to resist the spread of fascism.
Effect on Propaganda
During war propaganda was at an all time high
At the time, people believed that they could not win the war without them
'Mein Kampf '
Quote- describe as "a strange, small man" (Zusak 445)
Means that without Hitlers manipulation of words to deceive people, he is in reality, weak man
- A lot of Hitlers propaganda was in the Book Thief directly from his book that he wrote in prison
- Hitlers book is one of the main reason why there is any aggression in WW2, or WW2 for that matter
The Word Shaker
"Better to stand proud and resolute. Let the words do all of it. 'Is it really you? the young man asked,' she said. Is it from your cheek that I took the seed?'" (Zusak 512).
Liesel repeated what Max wrote in his story.
This gave Max that confidence and hope while he's about to go to the concentration camps
Power of Words
Power of words plays a key role in the Book Thief
Liesel learns that words hold a great amount of power to compel people to commit acts of cruelty.
Quote- "I have hated the words and, I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right" (Zusak 528).
- In the Book Thief these words save her life
- When going the Hitler Youth she grows
apart from Hitler due to his negative
words that Liesel does not like.
- Propaganda is not only pictures, but it can also me anything that tries to change a person mind set to a specific point of view.
- In the Book Thief this is portrayed in so many ways:
“If you win, you need not have to explain...If you lose, you should not be there to explain!”
- Adolf Hitler
"Only the Jew knew that by an able and persistent use of propaganda heaven itself can be presented to the people as if it were hell and, vice versa, the most miserable kind of life can be presented as if it were paradise. The Jew knew this and acted accordingly. But the German, or rather his Government, did not have the slightest suspicion of it. During the War the heaviest of penalties had to be paid for that ignorance."
- Adolf Hitler (Chapter 10)
"English." : The Book Thief- Blog Entry 3. Web. 19 May 2016. <http://eeshasheth.blogspot.ca/2011/12/book-thief-blog-entry-3.html>.
Samuels, Charlie. Propaganda. Tucson, AZ: Brown Bear, 2011. Print.
Shmoop Editorial Team. "The Book Thief Themes." Shmoop.com. Shmoop University, Inc., 2008. Web. 19 May 2016. <http://www.shmoop.com/book-thief/themes.html>.
"The Book Thief Themes." Study Guides & Essay Editing. Web. 19 May 2016. <http://www.gradesaver.com/the-book-thief/study-guide/themes>.
Townsend, John. World War II. Mankato, MN: Arcturus Pub., 2010. Print.
"What Is Propaganda? Definition and Meaning." BusinessDictionary.com. Web. 19 May 2016. <http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/propaganda.html>.
"What Is Propaganda?" Mind Over Media: Analyzing Contemporary Propaganda. Web. 19 May 2016. <http://propaganda.mediaeducationlab.com/learn/>.
"Words and Humanity in THE BOOK THIEF (2013) - Margaret Perry." Margaret Perry. 2013. Web. 19 May 2016. <http://margaretperry.org/words-and-humanity-in-the-book-thief-2013/>.
As Liesel understands words clearer,
she realizes all of Hitlers deceitful lies,
and Max helps with her understanding.
She also knows that her father and
mother were killed due to the false
propaganda, rumors, accusations.