Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Kuwait
MIHIR THUMMAR and
JARYLE ZAMORA LOCATION/CLIMATE GOVERNMENT CULTURE DEVELOPMENT EXACT LOCATION: PHYSICAL GEOGRAPHY KUWAIT 5th Period DATE DUE: MAY 13, 2013 Kuwait's flag: OBESITY IN KUWAIT * Kuwait's oil fields were
discovered in the 1930's. Oil in Kuwait RELATIVE LOCATION: LOCATIONS * Southeast of Iraq
*Northeast of Saudi Arabia CLIMATE LAND AREA *17,818 sq. km CAPITAL CITY * Kuwait City TYPE OF GOVERNMENT * Constitutional Emirate MAJOR EXPORTS * petroleum, petrochemicals, cement, shipbuilding and repair, water desalination, food processing, construction materials CURRENCY TRADITIONAL CLOTHING * Males wear the Dishdasha, a full length robe
with an opening
* Females usually wear the Abaya, a long-sleeved black robe * Official language: Arabic
* English is widely spoken in Kuwait
* Farsi FAMOUS LANDMARK/BUILDING The Kuwait Towers: RELIGIONS * Islam (official): 85%
* other (Christianity, Hindu, Parsi): 15% GDP PER CAPITA * $43,800 (2012 estimate) LIFE EXPECTANCY * MALE: 76.09 years
* FEMALE: 78.51 years LITERACY RATE * 93.3% for total population POPULATION * 2,695,316 people BODIES OF WATER * Kuwait Bay MAJOR LANDFORMS NATIVE VEGETATION NATIVE WILDLIFE ChiffChaff BIBLIOGRAPHY 29.3286 North
48.0034 East CURRENT POLITICAL LEADER * dry, dusty, and intensely hot summers; short, cool winters * Chief of state Amir SABAH al-Ahmad al-Jabir al-Sabah POPULATION PYRAMID LANGUAGES PERSIAN GULF Blue-throated Agamid Kuwaiti Oil Fields: Haloxylon salicornicum Desert DESERT FOOD * Over 70% of males 15+ are obese OBESITY RATE * 80% of women are obese * Kuwait is currently the 8th fattest country
in the world. Popular Fast Foods in Kuwait * McDonald's * Burger King * Pizza Hut Fast Food enters Kuwait * Kuwait began to import fast food during the Iraq War * Pizza Hut was one of the first to enter Why did Kuwaiti people agree to this? *Kuwait families imagined fast food as healthy courses KUWAITI HEAVEN "Central Intelligence Agency." CIA. 02 May 2013 <https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ku.html>.
"Fast Food Restaurants In Kuwait." Fast Food Restaurants in Kuwait. 02 May 2013 <http://www.talabat.com/kw/en/cuisine-food/11/fast-food-restaurants-in-kuwait>.
Forbes. Forbes Magazine. 02 May 2013 <http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/07/worlds-fattest-countries-forbeslife-cx_ls_0208worldfat_2.html>.
"Google." Google. 02 May 2013 <http://www.google.com/>.
"Kuwait Guide | Clothing." Kuwait Guide | Clothing. 02 May 2013 <http://www.expatwoman.com/kuwait/monthly__Clothing_Kuwait_6741.aspx>.
"A Plant Field Trip With Mustafa Deeb." Kuwait Nature Exploring. 02 May 2013 <http://www.at7.us/nx/kw/plants/>.
Verjee, Zain. "Fast-food-loving Kuwaitis fight fat with stomach stapling." CNN. 12 Nov. 2012. Cable News Network. 02 May 2013 <http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/08/world/meast/kuwait-obesity-fast-food>. (Shrub) United States GDP per capita: $49,800 Population: 316,668,567 How did this benefit Kuwait?
* 95% of government income comes from oil which leads to an increase in employees' wages * 43,800 GDP per capita (average income per person) * 2,695,316 people * Kuwaiti Dinar Citizen Benefits Free Medical Services Occasional distribution of government income to the Kuwaiti people Free food Guaranteed Employment February 2011 *1000 dinars ($3,500) was paid to every citizen of Kuwait * Along with the money, free food baskets for 14 months was given to each family * Government like a monarchy except the emir chooses a prime minister Setaria verticillata (Bristly Foxtail) Kuwait