Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Kuwait
MIHIR THUMMAR and
JARYLE ZAMORA LOCATION/CLIMATE GOVERNMENT CULTURE DEVELOPMENT EXACT LOCATION: PHYSICAL GEOGRAPHY KUWAIT 5th Period DATE DUE: MAY 13, 2013 Kuwait's flag: OBESITY IN KUWAIT * Kuwait's oil fields were
discovered in the 1930's. Oil in Kuwait RELATIVE LOCATION: LOCATIONS * Southeast of Iraq
*Northeast of Saudi Arabia CLIMATE LAND AREA *17,818 sq. km CAPITAL CITY * Kuwait City TYPE OF GOVERNMENT * Constitutional Emirate MAJOR EXPORTS * petroleum, petrochemicals, cement, shipbuilding and repair, water desalination, food processing, construction materials CURRENCY TRADITIONAL CLOTHING * Males wear the Dishdasha, a full length robe
with an opening
* Females usually wear the Abaya, a long-sleeved black robe * Official language: Arabic
* English is widely spoken in Kuwait
* Farsi FAMOUS LANDMARK/BUILDING The Kuwait Towers: RELIGIONS * Islam (official): 85%
* other (Christianity, Hindu, Parsi): 15% GDP PER CAPITA * $43,800 (2012 estimate) LIFE EXPECTANCY * MALE: 76.09 years
* FEMALE: 78.51 years LITERACY RATE * 93.3% for total population POPULATION * 2,695,316 people BODIES OF WATER * Kuwait Bay MAJOR LANDFORMS NATIVE VEGETATION NATIVE WILDLIFE ChiffChaff BIBLIOGRAPHY 29.3286 North
48.0034 East CURRENT POLITICAL LEADER * dry, dusty, and intensely hot summers; short, cool winters * Chief of state Amir SABAH al-Ahmad al-Jabir al-Sabah POPULATION PYRAMID LANGUAGES PERSIAN GULF Blue-throated Agamid Kuwaiti Oil Fields: Haloxylon salicornicum Desert DESERT FOOD * Over 70% of males 15+ are obese OBESITY RATE * 80% of women are obese * Kuwait is currently the 8th fattest country
in the world. Popular Fast Foods in Kuwait * McDonald's * Burger King * Pizza Hut Fast Food enters Kuwait * Kuwait began to import fast food during the Iraq War * Pizza Hut was one of the first to enter Why did Kuwaiti people agree to this? *Kuwait families imagined fast food as healthy courses KUWAITI HEAVEN "Central Intelligence Agency." CIA. 02 May 2013 <https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ku.html>.
"Fast Food Restaurants In Kuwait." Fast Food Restaurants in Kuwait. 02 May 2013 <http://www.talabat.com/kw/en/cuisine-food/11/fast-food-restaurants-in-kuwait>.
Forbes. Forbes Magazine. 02 May 2013 <http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/07/worlds-fattest-countries-forbeslife-cx_ls_0208worldfat_2.html>.
"Google." Google. 02 May 2013 <http://www.google.com/>.
"Kuwait Guide | Clothing." Kuwait Guide | Clothing. 02 May 2013 <http://www.expatwoman.com/kuwait/monthly__Clothing_Kuwait_6741.aspx>.
"A Plant Field Trip With Mustafa Deeb." Kuwait Nature Exploring. 02 May 2013 <http://www.at7.us/nx/kw/plants/>.
Verjee, Zain. "Fast-food-loving Kuwaitis fight fat with stomach stapling." CNN. 12 Nov. 2012. Cable News Network. 02 May 2013 <http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/08/world/meast/kuwait-obesity-fast-food>. (Shrub) United States GDP per capita: $49,800 Population: 316,668,567 How did this benefit Kuwait?
* 95% of government income comes from oil which leads to an increase in employees' wages * 43,800 GDP per capita (average income per person) * 2,695,316 people * Kuwaiti Dinar Citizen Benefits Free Medical Services Occasional distribution of government income to the Kuwaiti people Free food Guaranteed Employment February 2011 *1000 dinars ($3,500) was paid to every citizen of Kuwait * Along with the money, free food baskets for 14 months was given to each family * Government like a monarchy except the emir chooses a prime minister Setaria verticillata (Bristly Foxtail) Kuwait