Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in the manual
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Expo Markers: Environmental and Health Hazards on Drew Community
Transcript of Expo Markers: Environmental and Health Hazards on Drew Community
Methyl isobutylene Keaton
Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Extremely Hazardous
to Living organisms artificial chemical colors oily silicone polymer. Negatively impacts the nervous system aquatic organisms. the same chemical as nail polish methyl isobutyl ketone . Acute exposure to methyl isobutyl ketone may irritate the eyes and mucous membranes and cause weakness, headache, nausea, light
headedness, vomiting, dizziness, dis coordination, narcosis in humans. What Drew Teachers Think Usage Price of Expo Markers: $7.85=1 dozen $23.55= 3 dozen a month 9 months in school year= $290.45 $78.50=10 dozen start of school year Given what we now know, is there a realistic, affordable, and environmentally friendly alternative? AusPen Refillable Dry Erase Marker AusPen's goals:
1. To minimize waste
2. Use Recyclable materials
3. Safe, Cost Effective, and Top Quality Last for Many Refills Non-Xylene Approved from EEC Bright & Don't fade What is in their Ink Most Dangerous Components:
Ethanol 75% & 2- Propanol 15% No irritating effect to skin or eyes How to Use: Use them when ever they run out of ink. Take the ink bottle and just add 25-35 drops of ink back into the marker The days of throwing out pens after every few weeks are over! Toluene Free Odor Free Free of any harmful chemicals Ideal for people with chemical sensitivities
Eliminates toxins from classrooms Protect your Health Save up to 75% Reduce Your Waste Denatured Alcohol Refilling saves money Refill the ink and you have a marker forever. By refilling, you pay approximately 28 cents per marker. Cost Effective! 40 markers worth of Ink in Refill bottles By refilling markers people will spend their time in an environment that safeguards their health with non-toxic markers. The planet is benefiting
reduce the amount of plastic markers. Drew Going Green small changes have a big effect Drew's goal:
1. Provide a safe non- toxic environment for students, faculty, and staff.
2. Get rid of toxic Expo Markers.
3. Get AusPen's Let's be the Green school we are meant to be! Start Small and buy AusPen's severe effects to the brain can leak ground water and linger there for several months one of the most environmentally damaging plastic Disposing PVC is even worse,if burned, can release and acidic gas along with dioxins, because of chlorine content. If put in a landfill, PVC threaten groundwater supplies No threat to our environment made of organic vegetable compound biodegradable and compostable Economic Impact Auspen's will cost more than Expo Markers at First In the long run Auspen's will gradually become
less costly for Drew Xylene Alcohol Toluene PVC Work Sited EcoSmartWorld.com." Homepage - EcoSmartWorld.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Dec. 2012. <http://www.ecosmartworld.com/>. "PVC - The Poison Plastic." The Alliance For A Clean Environment - The Alliance for a Clean Environment. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Dec. 2012. <http://www.acereport.org/pvc2.html>. "ATSDR - Health Effects of Exposure to Substances and Carcinogens." ATSDR Home. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Dec. 2012. <http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/substances/Tox " AusPen — About Us ." AusPen - The Eco Stationery Refillable Whiteboard Marker Specialists . N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Dec. 2012. <http://www.auspen.us/pages/about-us>. " Methyl Isobutyl Ketone (Hexone) | Technology Transfer Network Air Toxics Web site | US EPA." US Environmental Protection Agency. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Dec. 2012. <http://www.epa.gov/ttnatw01/hlthef/methyl-k.html>. Images: All images came from public sources; Google Images. Impact at Drew Penfill not Landfill!