Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in the manual
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Slow Down When Racing to the Top!
Transcript of Slow Down When Racing to the Top!
Before the Core
Grade-level expectations addressed by Everyday Mathematics
Pluses: Consistent vocabulary, common approaches K-5
Minuses: Needed to supplement curriculum for mastery because of break-downs in the spiraling sequence approach
Mini-Grant For Maximum Impact
Nine Grade 5 teachers joined the Professional Learning Community and met:
2012-13 school year (3x) to share "oops!" and successes;
Summer 2013 to create to align Dana Center scope & sequence with 2 new math resources
• Keep lines of communication open with administration.
• Rely on all available resources.
Elementary Lessons on Transitioning to Math CCSS
Who We Are
Grade 5 teachers
Chris Keefe, Fishing Cove Elementary School
Stephen Skaggs, Stony Lane Elementary School
North Kingstown School District
Race to the Top Grant Recipients
Shifting Up to the Core
Dana Center and RI teachers wrote scope and sequence for each grade's Math and ELA instruction.
Teachers began to be trained in understanding the new standards.
Houston, We Have A Problem
Possessing the standards
Understanding the standards
Being able to teach them
• Grade-level discussions are key
• Teachers are critics, experts and learners
• Build a team of supporters
Core Values in CCSS Transition
Grant-funded sub coverage
Feedback on standards
Sharing of resources
Creation of assessments
A Good Team has Great Boosters
Smarter Than Our Fifth Graders
• Teachers at the same grade level can
quickly prioritize needs.
• They can share relevant resources.
• They use common understanding to
synthesize old and new standards.
What Was Accomplished?
Finish Line Mathematics
Ready Common Core
Scope & Sequence Work
Units of Study created with Dana Center were merged into practical documents.
Pay It Backward
• Transition to Math CCSS depends on
• Learn from teachers in the
previous grades helps to fine-tune
A Little Technology Goes a Long Way
• WikiSpace = file cabinet of resources
• SMARTBoard technology is a plus
• Visual modeling can happen with or
Tap Into Home-Grown Resources
• Allow teachers to identify PD needs.
• PD instruction came from district’s
elementary math coordinator, high school
math department head and URI instructor
• Cultivate culture of openness and learning.
Evaluation of texts:
To understand CCSS, teachers need time to debrief and reflect on the new concepts and math practices. Student work with exemplars are helpful.
Take advantage of PD and Professional Growth Goals to focus on common understanding of CCSS.
Document discussions and share them.
Task the teachers to give input or create the tools that they can really use in the classroom.
Encourage cross-grade discussions.