Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Phonetics
_ the same sound is spelled using different letters: sea, see, scene, receive, thief, amoeba, Aesop...
_the same letters can stand for different sounds: sign, pleasure, resign/ charter, character...
_ a single sound is spelled by a combination of letters: lock, that, book, boast, mountain, shop, apple, special...
_a single letter represents more than one sound: exit, use...
_ letters stand for no sound at all: know, doubt, though...
How sounds happen in English...
The study of speech sounds
IPA: consonant sounds
IPA: vowel sounds
To consider for consonants:
-Manner or articulation
-Place of articulation
To consider for vowels
-Height: high, mid, low
-Advancement: back, central, front
-Tenseness: tense, lax
How many sounds are there?
I'm sorry, I'm late...
Give them to him when he comes back...
Introduction to English Linguistics
Pedagogía del Inglés
ICSA-UACJ Ciudad Universitaria
M.A. Deida Perea Irigoyen