Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Space Elevator
- new ribbons made out of carbon nano tubes are in research
- 135x stronger than steel but less than half of weight (anchor for the ribbon) - start platform for the climber
- will be built in the Atlantic-Ocean at the equator SPACE ELEVATOR groundbase Space Elevator 1. The idea of the space elevator
2. Parts of the space elevator
3. What keeps the whole elevator in space?
4. Problems and risks
5. Some facts (costs etc.) some facts: ribbon elevator space station called "climber" Parts: The idea of the elevator: What keeps the whole elevator in space? Thank you for your attention! place for research, tests and even holidays
easy to launch spacecrafts and start missions to deep space
lower fuel costs for spacecraft launches (one of the biggest advantages) a "simple" idea:
- giant elevator from the earth surface to space
- complete new type of space transportation and traveling
- will be the easiest and cheapest way to travel into space travel time: 5 days transport costs: 220$ per kilo (rocket launch from earth surface: 25000$ per kilo) building time: 10 years maybe construction start: 2050 you have to bring up tons of materials to space difficult construction: problems: risks: security (e.g. terrorism) needs protection of many nations
wind and weather need to be built very strong
space debris elevator will be movable - centrifugal-force keeps the ribbon taut and
the station in space same effect on carousels: earth is rotating the chain is the ribbon/cable the seat is the space station/counterweight (climber) main problem: most technologies are still in development (other materials are in development) - automatic robotic climber
- climbs up the ribbon
- powered by solar cells or laserbeam from earth surface steel:
- non flexible nano tubes:
- flexible (cable) (counterweight) (anchor) total cost: 6,9 billion $ total high: 36.000 km - far away from inhabited regions
- difficult for attackers (e.g. terrorism)