Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Prelude to Revolution
Transcript of Prelude to Revolution
Proclamation of 1763
1st domino that upset colonist's
* Angered colonist's because they couldn't move westward. The whole reason they fought the French was for Western Expansion. *The imaginary line drawn through the Appalachian Mountains.
Britain Impose New Taxes
Why? They are broke, in debt from The French and Indian War. The King of England feels it's right for the colonist's to pay the money back
A tax on Molasses. Molasses was used to make rum. Colonists were already taxed on Sugar, but smugglers could get away with it. The Sugar Act passed made it harder for smugglers to get away
All wills, marriage papers, diplomas, newspapers, almanacs, playing cards and even dice had to carry a stamp showing the tax had been paid.
The Stamp Act had men and women angry. Protest are on the rise!
"No Taxation Without Representation"
British officials don't understand why the colonists are upset by the Stamp Act.
* The colonists decided to boycott British goods. It worked! British trade fell 14%. Finally the British Parliament repealed (canceled) the Stamp Act. However it passed a law stating "they have the right to raise taxes in all cases whatsoever"
Prominent British officials stated that Parliament was "afraid of those Americans"
Parliament passes the Townshend Acts. Taxed goods such as glass, paper, paint, lead and tea.
Wait a minute! Colonists again state "No taxation without representation"
Back to the drawing board....
Again, colonists will boycott. This time the British will not back down.
Sons of liberty formed- colonists who staged hangings of cloth or straw effigies. This was to show the tax collectors what might happen to them if they tried to collect the unpopular tax
Samuel Adams will become an unlikely leader
"Lobsterbacks" roamed the streets of Boston, reminding the colonists to pay their taxes. The "Lobsterbacks" were yelled at all the time.
A clash: A crowd grew larger and larger around the British soldiers. Colonist started throwing objects at them (snowballs filled with rocks), the soldiers panicked and fired into the crowd killing 5.