Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
GCSE English - Reading Strategies 2016
Transcript of GCSE English - Reading Strategies 2016
TASK 2: SCANNING
TASK 3: R.F.D
Log onto your BKSB Account so that you can complete a skills test on reading staregies and reading different types of text.
You can use the scanning technique to look up a
read through the
newspaper, or for browsing
lists, catalogues or
information. For these tasks you don’t need to read or understand every word.
Finding specific details
All the resources from todays lesson will be on Google Classroom.
Skimming is a reading technique that can help you:
• read more quickly
• decide if the text is interesting and whether you should read it in more detail
You can use the skimming technique when you want to
identify the main ideas
in the text.
Whats it all about?
1. You will be able to differentiate between the three key reading strategies
2. Implement each strategy as necessary in your own reading.
3. Practice each strategy on a sample piece of text to improve comprehension.
By the end of the lesson...
Reading for Detail
There are times when you will need to read every single word of a document. Certain documents require you to read them in detail in order to fully understand its significance.
Exactly what is says on the tin...
Group Task 4
1. Arrange yourselves into groups (the bigger the group the more work haha)
2. Create an article using the template provided relating to the picures in the article.
Use the World Map
and Zoom into Locations
Present Business Data
GCSE English: Wk 4
When you use the skimming technique you don’t read the whole text word for word. You should use as many clues as possible to give you some background information.
Just to start...
Arrange yourselves into small groups
Race against your peers to match up the definitions with the correct words.
Use a dictionary to help you!
TASK 1: SKIMMING
When Skimming Text...
Read the title, subtitles and subheadings to find out what the text is about.
• Look at the illustrations to give you more information about the topic.
• Read the first and last sentence of each paragraph.
• Don’t read every word or every sentence. Let your eyes skim over the text and look out for key words.
• Continue to think about the meaning of the text.
When scanning text...
Don’t try to read every word. Instead let your eyes move quickly across the page until you find what you’re looking for.
• Use clues on the page, such as headings and titles, to help you.
• In a dictionary or phone book, use the header words to help you scan. You can find these in
at the top of each page.
Improve writing capabilities
Improve reading capabilities
Preperation for final assessment
How would you explain the method of
- Reading For Detail
Remeber to include information that uses the reading techniques you have learned in the lesson.
(Finding the gist / the main idea)
(Reading word for word)
(Finding specific details)
Another important feature...
Finding the meaning that is implied rather than stated...
Using implicit rather than explicit meaning...
Understand what is meant by what is not written or obvious...