Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Health Capstone Project
Transcript of Health Capstone Project
*In teens, it is even more damaging because the brain is still in the early stages of development. *11 million teens under 21 drink on a regular basis What is underage drinking? Underage drinking is consuming any alcohol while under the age of 21.
THIS IS VERY BAD AND AGAINST THE LAW!!! What are the consequences
of drinking underage? . Media and movies- it looks cool and fun Who is affected by underage drinking? -The teens themselves
- Their families and friends
- Their teammates if they get caught
- Other drivers if they drive drunk Why Do Kids Drink? James Bond Casino Royale *liver scarring and tissue damage *Alcohol leads to more deaths each year than illegal drugs combined *41% of kids have consumed alcohol by the 8th grade *Around 5,000 young people under the age of 21 die as a result of underage drinking each year What are the health risks of drinking underage? By: Emily, Imani & Anna . Peers and social gatherings (pressure at parties)
. Fear of being left out
. Low self-esteem
. Stress (drink your problems away) *alcohol poisoning *other body parts affected are the heart, lungs, kidneys, stomach and blood . Zero Tolerance Law- you risk losing your license . losing spots on sports teams
. cutting off ties with family and friends
. increased chance of becoming and alcoholic (five times greater)
. bad grades (skipping to drink, hangovers in class) *gateway drug The legal drinking age is 21 in the United States Where do teens actually drink? "Casino Royale - Vesper." YouTube. YouTube, 09 May 2010. Web. 05 Jan. 2013.
"Century Council." Minnesota Drunk Driving & Underage Drinking Statistics. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Jan. 2013.
"Park Ridge Underground." : Lullaby and Goodnight to Zero Tolerance? N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Jan. 2013.
"Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration." Underage Drinking Still Serious Problem in All States According to New National Report. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Jan. 2013.
"Teen Alcohol Abuse Causes, Symptoms, Signs, Risk Factors and Treatment on MedicineNet.com." MedicineNet. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Jan. 2013.
"Underage Drinking." Underage Drinking-Why Do Adolescents Drink, What Are the Risks, and How Can Underage Drinking Be Prevented? N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Jan. 2013.
"Use Real Butter." Use Real Butter RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Jan. 2013.Underage Drinking in the States Rates of Underage Drinking in the Past Month (% of all teens in the state) . Highest: Vermont at 37%
. Lowest: Utah at 14.3%
. Minnesota: 27.5% *Drinking laws and legal ages are different in different countries Sources Underage Drinking in the States *Underage drinking is associated with an increased likelihood of developing alcohol abuse or dependence later in life
*Drinking and Driving- Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death among youth ages 15 to 20
*Suicide- Alcohol use interacts with conditions such as depression and stress to contribute to suicide
*Sexual Assault- Research suggests that alcohol use by the offender, the victim, or both, increases the likelihood of sexual assault by a male acquaintance
*Death toll- over 5,000 young people die as a result of underage-drinking each year in the U.S. alone Why is this so Important?