Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Leadership and Community Organizing for Dummies.
Transcript of Leadership and Community Organizing for Dummies.
Places Spark Identify a Problem and turn the problem into an issue
Develop a strategy Build Relationships (cc) image by nuonsolarteam on Flickr Leadership and Community Organizing
by: April, Krystyl, Jenny, Lousiana, Necole & Lorena Home
Coffee Shops Political Activists Approach:
- In the 1930’s Saul Alinsky, the Godfather of community organizing is the founder of this approach .He emerged as a community organizer in the 1930s.The basic philosophy of this approach is based on his thinking that " more representative the organization the stronger the organization." History has witnessed three major types of community organizing
Social Work Approach
Political Activist Approach
Neighborhood Community Approach •Community organizers ARE leaders! • Organizers rely on relationships to make things happen! Without relationships, organizers are ineffective, stagnant, and unable to impact change. • Because of the centrality and vitality of relationships in community organizing, organizers must possess “Human Skills.” • Additionally, “Competency Skills” are essential in producing change and movement, which is the fundamental goal of community organizing. Effective Leadership Skills in Community Organizing Competency skills
-develop strategy human skills
-third places Community Organizing is not successful without a great leader and vice versa Community building/
appoint decision maker
Win or regroup and begin again Merging Skills with Steps • Mobilization of individuals is key to effective community change. Organizers must exhibit “Community-Building/Mobilization Skills” in order to effectively align people towards common goals. • In sum, effective community organizers are leaders that yield multidirectional influence. East LA Community Corporation
community organizing department overview
services:members & community residents
ELACC success Repeat user East LA Community Corporation
-ELACC was founded in 1996
-ELACC goals (community power, community leadership & strengthening the social movement)
-ELACC empower residents of LA's Eastside (cc) photo by twicepix on Flickr (cc) photo by tudor on Flickr East LA
Working Together Current Events The importance of community organizing
in the future of social work 2002 March (cc) image by jantik on Flickr The P.I.E. -- Don't forget the environment A world less united The Relationship between the economy, politics, social work and the community Empowering the community Win, regroup,
and do it again! THe end