Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
ADVERBS 2 & 3 (A06)
Transcript of ADVERBS 2 & 3 (A06)
Sentence Adverbs = Viewpoint Adverbs
* Sentence or Viewpoint Adverbs can appear at the beginning, in the middle or at the end of a sentence.
a) Men should only get pregnant.
b) Only men should get pregnant.
These adverbs express an opinion or comment about the sentence made. It modifies the whole sentence rather than each one of its elements. For example:
He wasn't hurt Luckily, he wasn't hurt
You have to use commas at the beginning and at the end of the sentence.
* If they appear in the middle of a sentence, they are always between the Verb and the Aux. For Example,
- Fortunately , the use of certain drugs is declining.
- The use of certain drugs is fortunately declining.
- The use of certain drugs is declining , fortunately.
No commas at the end, it will be considered an adverb of manner.
-Not surprisingly = Surprisingly
-Unpredictably = Predictably
-Unfortunately = Fortunately
-Perhaps, he is mad
-Maybe, they are busy
(always at the beginning)
- Girls are smarter than boys.
- Movies will replace many forms of literature.
What's your opinion about these sentences?
(make the necessary changes to give your opinions)
(at the beginning, they force inversion)
Do these sentences have the same meaning?
-Sentence (a) means that the only activity men should do is to get pregnant.
-Sentence (b) means that men should have babies instead of women.
-These Adverbs are called Focus Adverbs because they focus attention on a word or phrase that follows them.
that the meaning of the sentence changes according to the position of the adverb. For example:
-She likes even soccer.
(she likes a lot of sports, including soccer.)
-Even she likes soccer.
(Even focuses on She.)