Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Educational Technology
Educational Technology: Developing a Critical Understanding
of its Relevance and Use in the Classroom
1) What is educational technology (edtech)?
2) How can edtech enhance learning for students?
3) Do you think edtech is
important for teaching in
your major discipline?
Why or why not?
Growth in Internet Use
Digital immigrants and digital natives in China
Trends in EdTech
Conlusions: Why use Edtech?
New forms of collaboration
Provide opportunity for deeper learning
Teach more than
one subject - interdisciplinarity
Questions, Trends, Ideas and more questions
Activity - Use an educational technology (edtech), "TitanPad"
And it is undisciplined.”
"The digital life of students largely occurs outside of schools.
For BNU students to:
Develop a better understanding of "today's" students (elementary and secondary)
Re-think the relevance of using edtech
Collaborate to consider uses of edtech
Arrive at a more critical understanding of using edtech for learning
Presenter: Dr. Kirk Perris
Date: August 21, 2014
Beijing Normal University
Digital Natives vs. Digital Immigrants
Prensky: Digital Natives vs. Digital Immigrants (2001) - "Digital Immigrants, who speak a
language of the pre-digital age, are struggling to teach a population that speaks an entirely new language."
1) Form groups of 4
networked device (computer,
tablet or smart phone), log in at:
3) At the top right of the screen, enter the
name given to your group
Activity: Question 1
1) What kinds of edtech have you used at BNU?
(In your groups, type your answers in
Student Group Responses
The hole is
The drill is the
that helps make the hole.
... not all drills will work the same way
Conclusions: Why use Edtech?
Know your students - and
assume they are
Remember: Technology is
, not the hole. The
hole (learning) is what is
Activity: Question 2 and 3
2) How might you use Titanpad to teach in your major discipline?
3) Would you use Titanpad in the classroom or in the undisciplined environment outside of the classroom?