Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of REALITY-PDF Program
What is the workplace prevalence of Pain, Depression & Fatigue?
“Chronic illnesses are reported to be one of the most prevalent and increasing health problems in both Western and developing countries” (World Health Organization, 1992).
-One study found that 40% of workers reported a current work limitation whether physically, cognitively, or socially as a result of chronic pain, fatigue, depression or anxiety. (Munir, Jones, Leka & Griffiths, 2005)
What is the workplace prevalence of pain?
- In a survey of over 4,000 Canadians over 18% of adults suffer from chronic pain, of the moderate to severe chronic pain sufferers close to 60% reported that they had lost their job or reduction in responsibilities as a result of their pain
- Pain significantly affected absenteeism rates for sufferers of chronic pain, with a mean number of 28.5 lost work days per year (Chronic Pain Survey, 2007-2008).
Do you need more reasons to implement the Reality-PDF in your company?
The reality is, these stats and figures don't have to be the reality for your company and your employees. By implementing the Reality PDF, the reality of escalating costs of Pain, Depression, and Fatigue in the workplace be translated into...
How does PDF correlate with other factors/issues?
Correlating factors with Pain
What is it?
-This is a multi-modal pain, depression, and fatigue program targeted towards groups, i.e., employees in large corporations of 5000+, which facilitates their engagement and participation in work activities.
-Was created based on understanding of cluster of symptoms with target population
-Employees with depressive disorder (most significantly major depressive disorder) are significantly more likely than those without depression to have: lower education level, physical symptoms associated with pain, weakness, fatigue, panic/anxiety, and autonomic instability. These respondents were more likely to be women and earn less than $20,000 annually (Stewart, 2003).
What is the workplace prevalence of Depression?
-Depression is one of most dominant health-related lost labor time costs and of all conditions that cause lost labour time, it is most costly because highly prevalent and is often seen comorbidly with other conditions.
-One study found that the 2 week prevalence of any depressive disorder in the US workforce was estimated at 9.4% (Stewart, 2003)
-Workers with depression, although present at work, performance is substantially reduced
-Workers, with depression lost a mean of 5.6 hours per week of productive work time for either personal or family health reason while those without depression lost on average 1.5hrs/wk (Stewart, 2003).
What is the workplace prevalence of Fatigue?
- One study found the 2 week prevalence of fatigue among employees to be 37.9% (Ricci, Chee, Lorandeau, Berger, 2007).
- 66% of workers with fatigue reported health related lost productivity time which included both absenteeism and presenteeism (Ricci, Chee, Lorandeau, Berger, 2007).
There are many factors that correlate with the invisible triad generally:
- Factors associated with psychological distress included clinical status such as disease severity, presence of pain and fatigue; low functional status (i.e. ability to carry out daily activities) (Munir et al., 2007).
Correlating factors with Fatigue
- Fatigue is significantly more prevalent when coexisting with other health conditions and when employees are female (Ricci, Chee, Lorandeau, Berger, 2007).
- Workers under 40, working full-time, with more control have higher incidence of lost productive time (Ricci, Chee, Lorandeau, Berger, 2007).
- Employees that have fatigue related lost productive time correlate with difficulties with mental health (Ricci, Chee, Lorandeau, Berger, 2007).
Correlating factors with Depression
-Estimation of costs to US employers of depression equals $44 billion annually in lost productive work time (that is in excess of $30.9 billion when compared to this cost in workers without depression). This only accounts for those in the active workforce, and does not even factor in those on disability leave (Stewart, 2003).
-Employees experiencing fatigue lost an average of 4 productive hours per week, which cost employers 101 billion dollars more annually than employees without fatigue (Ricci, Chee, Lorandeau, Berger, 2007).
-“Low back pain alone generates health care costs in the range of $18 billion annually” (McCraken, Turk, 2002)
In a study examining the relationship between lifestyle, workplace and social factors with back pain in the working population, the authors found that prevalence was higher among women, people of lower socioeconomic status, people who were married and depressed, and who were non-athletes (Schneider, Schmitt, Zoller, & Schiltenwolf, 2005).
Worker creates anonymous account or phones in
Worker is taken through series of assessments
Results are calculated and worker is referred on to either Tier 1 or Tier 2
Tier 1 provides workers with self-learning modules for Pain, Depression, and Fatigue
Workers re-take assessment screens every 6 weeks and re-enter the process as needed
Reality PDF Program Concept Flow
Tier 2 & 3 refers worker to meet with an Occupational Therapist at a Primary Care Facility for comprehensive interview & tailored support services
For your company specifically:
Cost of absenteeism = 10 days per year (on average)x 8 hour days x $30 per hour lost x 5000 staff = $12 million
Our Solution for YOU- Reality PDF program
P lenty of D ollars saved F or you!