Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Democritus and Aristotle
Transcript of Democritus and Aristotle
What our Presentation will consist of:
-Biographies of Democritus and Aristotle
*Birth and Death
* Fun Facts
-Democritus and Aristotle Discoveries
*Why are they famous?
* What did they do?
* How did they do it?
-How do these discoveries influence us today?
*Atomic theory today
Biography of Democritus
Democritus was born in 460 BC in Abdera,Thrace. He was an ancient Greek philosopher. He is known for his influence on science more than any pre-Socratic philosopher. Democritus went to school studying Pre-Socratic philosophy. Democritus came from a wealthy, intelligent family. After his father's death Democritus took off traveling in search of experience and wisdom. He traveled many places studying, investigating, and exploring. Democritus died in 370 BC.
Biography of Aristotle
Aristotle was born in 385 BC and he died in 322 BC. Aristotle went to Platonic Academy. He wrote about subjects including: physics, government, biology, theater, and poetry. He was the founding figure in Western philosophy. His views on physical science shaped the influence on the Renaissance and Medieval scholarships.
By: Madison Gaines and Bailey Cyprowski
What is Pre-Socratic Philosophy?
Pre-Socratic philosophy is Greek philosophy that occurred before Socrates and the Socratic Method.
Aristotle's discovery was known in 350 BC. This is the beginning of the timeline and the start of the investigation and experimentation of the atomic theory. Aristotle observed the world as a philosopher. He came up with the "elements" water, fire, air, and earth. Aristotle is significant because his writings and views has a large impact on science today
Democritus discovered the concept of the atom. Atom is the Greek word for 'indivisible'. Democritus stated that everything in the universe was made up of atoms, which were microscopic and indestructible.
1. Aristotle was close friends with Alexander the Great.
2. Aristotle is remembered as the most influential person who ever lived
3. Aristotle's favorite subjects were biology, zoology, and astronomy
4. Only 1/3 of his writings have survived to this day.
5. His philosophy has a large influence on Christian and Islamic religion.
6. During the Middle Ages, Aristotle’s ideas were adopted by the Catholic church. At that time, supporters of atomic theory could be executed for heresy.
1.Democritus was known as "The Laughing Philosopher". He was looked at this way because he was often cheerful while at work.
2. After his major discoveries, he is considered the "Father Of Modern Science."
3. Democritus was also known for studying physics, astronomy, zoology, botany and medicine. He did not just limit his research to atoms.
4. He is said to have written over 70 pieces, but none have stayed in tact. Most of his writings were told second hand from Aristotle.
In Greek, the prefix "a" means "not". The word "tomos" means cut. When combining these words to form atoms, it means undividable. This is misleading because atoms can be split with today's technology, but it wasn't even proposed as a possibility at the time.
5 Points Made By Democritus
1. All matter is made up of undividable particles called atoms.
2. There is a void, which is empty space between atoms.
3. Atoms are completely solid.
4. Atoms are homogeneous, with no internal structure.
5. Atoms vary in size, shape, and weight
Aristotle argued that the atomic theory was completely incorrect, so this was dismissed by scientists for many years.
How does this affect us today?
Democritus started the idea of the atom. He was the beginning of a chain of ideas about the matter around us. Without him, the beliefs about what matter consists of may have been completely different and inaccurate. Democritus created an idea that affected beliefs on many other topics in our world.
Why are Democritus and Aristotle called philosophers and not scientists?
At the time of Democritus and Aristotle, technology was not as advanced as it is today. They could not see what atoms looked like. Aristotle and Democritus had to make an educated hypothesis due to the atoms not being able to be seen. If there could have been testing to prove their theories on atoms, they would have been called scientists.